Girls, How can a guy have a platonic relationship with a girl after expressing romantic interest?

winterfox10
So without going into a ton of detail, the girl I thought was "something more than a friend," just totally shut me down. When I say she shut me down, I mean that she shut me DOWN. Like "I don't know if you've been misinterpreting my words, or are picking up on some signal, but the romantic messages you're sending me are making me uncomfortable. There's a limit to everything, you know? ," type of shut down. She shut me down on the friendly sign of "your advances are neither wanted, nor appreciated, so you need to stop."

Now, the fact she's written me this at all is a good sign, because it of course means that she doesn't want to end the friendship, but this whole situation puts me in an awkward spot. I was sending the things I was sending because I thought she wanted me to, and I have been sending those messages for the better part of 6 months (we're long distance).

I ran the situation by hundreds of people on here every step of the way, so I don't see how I could have misinterpreted things. However, despite my best efforts: it seems like I misread the lady's intentions. All things considered, I was losing my interest in her anyhow, she's really turned out to be nothing like the woman I thought knew from college.

What are some things I can do, moving forward, to have a platonic relationship with this girl after I have made my romantic interest so abundantly clear?
2