Every year I have a birthday gift for my friend but this year I don't. What should I do?

I've been gifting my friend for his birthday every year for the last few years, but I'm afraid this year it won't happen. My gifts are always hand-made or commissioned, so it's always something special and unique, and this year I've literally run out of ideas. I just don't know what to get him, and I don't want to go buy whatever only for the sake of gifting something because it would be meaningless.

So, assuming his birthday comes and I don't have anything, how should I handle the matter? Should I say nothing? Should I tell him he's not getting anything this year? Should I explain why? Should I apologise? It makes me feel bad I can't come up with anything this year and I don't want to be awkward.
0
1