Why are so many mothers-in-law so annoying or even abusive towards their daughters-in-law?

CubsterShura
Seriously. Breaching privacy, being controlling, crossing boundaries...

I used to think it only happens in the South Asian and Arab communities and I later learned that it also happens in the West, East, basically all over the world.

From MILs stealing their DIL's belongings to barging into the delivery room without their permission or ordering them to strip before them because she wants to see how she looks naked, making comments about the baby's appearance, showing up in honeymoon trips or dinner dates, spreading rumors, demanding virginity tests, and what not.

I see a lot of it in my own family. MILs treating their DILs like shit. My grandma was abusive to my mom. I've seen my aunts treating my cousins' wives so bad it almost makes me scared of marriage.

It scares me.

Do these women have trouble accepting that their sons have grown up so they are now gonna love and take care of another woman other than them? Do they feel jealous that their sons are no more their babies? Do they feel possessive when their sons don't give them what they give their wives? Is this a psychological thing?
14
4