Did my mother fail me?

Anonymous
I only stopped shoplifting last year after getting caught and being forced to do community service hours, paying a fine and nearly losing my scholarship. I was told that next time is 6 months jail time. My boyfriend and best friend think my mother failed me by not punishing me immediately. I don't recall ever getting tough love from her.

Flashback to 2006:
- That was the very first time I stole something and knew it was wrong. I was then 7 and stole a small tattoo package, candies and cherry lip gloss. I hid them on my jacket and walked away with my mother. After 30-40 minutes, mom was taking me out to eat at Wendy's (my favorite place) and I accidentally took off my jacket. She only gave a small lecture on how it's wrong to steal and just don't do it again.
- I continued stealing things for no reason. In 5th grade, mom got a call from school about me stealing someone's homework, taking it home, and copying from that. Somehow the teacher noticed, even though I only changed some words on my paper. What did mom do? Some lecture on how it wasn't right what I did and nothing else. The topic was forgotten quickly.
- Over the years I would steal and cheat on some exams but got sneakier and didn't get caught anymore until last year.
Yes
Vote A
No
Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
GirlGuy
Updates:
2 mo
Even when I stole, she still took me to Wendy's. Both my boyfriend and friend claimed I got so lucky my mother only gave me a quick lecture... their mothers would've really punish them good to the point they would be scared of trying to steal or cheat on exams again.
Did my mother fail me?
Add Opinion