Why is it ok for a parent to hit but wrong if their adult child hits back?

CelineBV
I think once you've resorted to hitting or slapping first, you've opened door for the other person to react. They might not be able to control themselves either, just like you couldn't.

Yet... most people have an issues with the hitting/slapping back your parents. My mother and I never got to that level. If she ever slapped me, I would like to believe I would restrain myself and either gently hold her hands or walk away but what if I'm already pissed off, emotions get the best of me, and instinctively react without thinking?
9 d
I've seen a couple stories where the mother gets shocked and starts crying when their older teen or adult son/daughter slapped her back. The child regrets it afterwards but what did she expected would happen?
9 d
If I had a child and they slapped me back after I slapped them first... I wouldn't be acting surprised. I would already know there was a 50% I would get hit back.
1
0