Is my best friend's toxic behavior a sign I should walk away? Or am I just a bad friend?

Anonymous
I've been friends with him for 5 years. He's lost many of his friends over that time, and he always complained that they "weren't really there for him" when he needed it most. I trusted his words and thought them to be a**holes.

Cut to now, I live 8 hours away. He's been going through stuff (wants a divorce from his wife cause he found someone else) and told me he's happier than ever with this girl, which is a red flag to me. So I do the logical thing and give him The Talk: he's making his happiness dependent in this new girl, and when she leaves for college (in one year) he's gonna be losing his sh*t. I tell him to spend this year with her but to also try to find his own happiness instead of being so dependent, cause that would only end badly. So he says "you're right, I'll just kill myself next year."

And I'm like? How toxic. No wonder friends leave him, if he's placing the responsibility of losing his life on us like that.

I haven't been able to talk to him since. I just can't believe he'd say something so hurtful. Am I a bad friend?
2
2