Is it right to give appearance compliments to a person of the opposite gender you are not interested in (but want to boost their mood)?

Anonymous
My little sister had a really cool friend who I had an awesome personality but I just didn’t find her physically attractive. Her friend had a thing for me for a while (not obvious but I could tell) but fortunately I never ran into her often. She did always like all my Instagram posts though.

It was just one of those scenarios where you encounter someone who is attracted to you, you don’t feel the same about them BUT they have a cool personality so you want to treat them nice. But you are considerate enough to never lead them on. Truth is I very much respect average looking people who do their best to be optimistic. But I know these people are often deep down very frustrated and lonely. What’s the best way to boost their day?

She put up a selfie pic today and I just liked it. It was well taken. But it got me to thinking about this.

I could put a pleasant comment like “looking good!” or something to boost her day. But does it come off as facetious when you know the person doesn’t really find you attractive?
1
2