Why do some parents think they can easily be friends with someone they disrespected?

ShellyR
Whenever the topic of parents hating their child's partner comes up, I've noticed this:

If the parents were to realized they made a mistake, come to liking them or approve the relationship, they expect their child's partner to suddenly start liking them and easily forget it all like it never happened; where everyone gets along in one day (happily ever after Disney movie ending). Wouldn't this be a two-way street? Wouldn't then the parents have to work hard to gain that person's trust?

I'll give you an example. My friend's mother was disrespectful and nasty to the boyfriend (now her husband of 6 years). Then when she got proven wrong, she follow through with the promise of adoring him like a son. While it's good things got better, the guy didn't immediately adore her nor magically forgot all the horrible treatment at that moment. It took a couple years for them to have a now close, great relationship.
1
0