Is defending someone from something (like a friend or sibling, for example) also classified as "not minding my own business"?

Anonymous
I was trying to defend my sister today from my mother's ruthless comments about her acne and face in general. My sister is really sweet and really sensitive as well, so it kinda breaks my heart to see her cry. Anyway, my mother was yelling at her about her acne and I got pissed and told her that she (my sister) already knew and was doing her best to get rid of it (which she really was). All of a sudden, my dad stepped in and told me to mind my own business and stop butting in. I've always been told to shut up when it came to defending others, so this isn't the first time it's happened.

It's not that I'm trying to be nosy a bitch when I'm trying to defend others (and for frick's sake, I abhor yelling). I also try to be calm when I'm defending someone as well. And I know I have a habit of butting in a lot when it comes to seeing other people getting hurt and not standing up for themselves, but I do it with the intention of defending them and hopefully giving them a chance to see that someone is there for them.

But am I wrong? Is it wrong to defend someone like this? Am I butting in? I've been told this by my parents my whole entire life so now I'm confused and I don't know if I'm wrong or not.
3
0