How do I stop giving excessively?

Anonymous
I love to give gifts, I absolutely love it. I'm chronically single, and I've been forever. I always feel so lonely... and I find now that whenever I feel that way I usually buy stuff for other people... but like over excessively. It's not even really for my own benefit or feelings... it's more just "if I can't keep myself together, maybe I can make somebody elses life better and make them happy." I love to compliment people and make them feel good about themselves... even my friends boyfriends! I never get anything in return which I don't really care about... but it's gotten to a point where the people I know are like "uh... thanks?" "You really need to stop doing this... it's too much" But I just love it so much and I don't know how to stop. It's just I used to try to focus on bettering myself and listening to other people saying "focus on making yourself better for another person..." but it just reached a point where I had been doing that for years and never getting results. I turned to shopping and giving things to people because I've honestly just given up and want to bring joy to others now. It's a great distraction from my own anxieties by creating more exciting anxieties about other people and keeping busy. Any advice?
How do I stop giving excessively?
Add Opinion