My parents won't defend me if I do wrong, are they right?

Anonymous
They've always been like this. They will only defend me if I'm innocent and in the right. If I'm guilty, they will stand by my side but say nothing; they will let whoever is in charge hand out the punishment.

Ex: When they received a call from school once (I was in 8th grade) and found out I was in the wrong, they didn't defend me. The agreed with the teacher handing out a 3 day detention and an essay about the important of respecting others. I was then grounded afterwards. My mother said ''If it happens again I'm walking right to the principal's office with you''.

Same thing if I were to steal, cheat on a boyfriend... nope they won't defend me. For stealing they would tell me to either go back to the store and give it back or they will report it themselves. For cheating, if they won't lie for my if he asks for my whereabouts. Are they right?
3
3