Am I wrong for having a crush on this girl?

Anonymous
3 months ago, my friend John had a crush on this girl named Arielle. He DMed her on Instagram to start things off. After a week of messaging her, he asked her out. She said no. He got upset and blocked her on Instagram.

About a month ago, I started hanging out with her in groups. We went to see Spider-Man, we went to an art show, and to see Christmas lights. We got along well at everything.

Knowing that John really liked her, I didn’t want to make a move without asking him in fear of violating bro code. Yet, they never dated so he doesn’t own her. I decided to let him know how I felt about Arielle over the phone and he got very upset, started yelling. He couldn’t believe it, he was acting like it was the end of the world.

As a result of his reaction, I haven’t made a move. Is he overreacting or am I wrong? I’m not copying him. My feelings came from going out in the friend groups and building a connection.
1
1