Dating someone with a disability. Yes or no?

Guys and girls; how would you react if the person you're dating told you that they have a physical disability (which had gone undetected by you until this point).
How would you feel? Would you stay in the relationship?
  • Stay
  • Leave
  • Other
    Vote C

515

Most Helpful Guy

• First, I would like to say that any relationship that is long term can turn into a caretaker situation. Sooner or later one will begin to die and their partner will be a caretaker.

But I think we all hope that such things do not happen early. Sometimes they do. Being the caretaker is not so bad by itself, but it means that one is doing the job that two shared earlier. If there are children, that is a lot of care taking. Trying to take care of everyone at home and work enough to take care of all the bills is a very big burden. And I have seen many people that could not handle it and left their spouse and kids to fend for themselves. Not pretty and something you cannot imagine anyone doing, but some people just can't handle it.

But, all of that said, there can still be a lot of enjoyment in the lives of two people who share this burden. If the disability is manageable so that the non disabled party can take care of the family, the love is just as great as without the disability.

I would just recommend to someone considering undertaking such a relationship, make sure you don't ignore the facts. It can be a rough road and not all can handle it.

Most Helpful Girl