I'm afraid of wearing shorts/showing skin! How can I get more comfortable doing so?

And it's for a different reason.
I actually like how I look in shorts and swimsuits, etc. But the potential attention that I may get is what scares me (it's taken me a long time to admit that). And I don't want to feel that I can't go swimming or enjoy warm weather because of that.

I'd say that I DREAM to wear swimsuits like this, I'm shaped like the girl in the middle, and I like shorts like the ones below (as well as flowy shorts).

But I've been told that it's wrong, that /I/ can't do it. I've tried, and all that comes to mind are strict parents, and stupid boys from younger school days. I started college recently in a hot location, and JUST started getting comfortable in spaghetti strap tops. During orientation I wore a tank top and a guy approached me but was cool and friendly. Then I figured not all guys get worked up and act stupid over exposed shoulders. Then, that afternoon, an old guy catcalled me--it's /those/ people that turn my stomach. And so, my legs and torso fried under the summer sun, as I spent summer in jeans and orientation t shirts.

When shopping, I may sometimes find an awesome swimsuit or pair of shorts to try on for the day I'm brave enough. And I'll look in the mirror and like what I see. But will leave them in the store.

How can I gain confidence to wear what I want?

And I don't even care to wear this stuff for boys, I just want to wear what I want and not burn up in 96 degree weather.

Most Helpful Girl

• i'd suggest wearing it and carrying a coverup like a lightweight long cardigan for security

What Guys Said 4

• As long as you are not wearing something very different than most of the people, i guess you won't get more attention because of your clothes. Just like at the beach: everybody wears swimsuits.

• Looks aren't everything. Personality is what keeps u interesting. Guys that give u a chance are keepers. Looks attract but the magnet gets dull. Personality will make look better. U just need some opinions or something from friends. Honest opinions tho.

• It's a mental state. Train your mind to get out of paranoia of what will people think and attention

• Just wear those shorts girl

What Girls Said 2

• You began your statement by saying that you're comfortable with your body, and that's amazing and I'm happy for you. You then went on by saying that you're afraid of the attention though. You shouldn't be afraid of the attention because whether the attention is good or bad, it comes from one or two things. Either the person finds you good looking, or they're jealous. If your body looks the way that of the picture does, many people will think that way of you. You need to realize though, that you're above them. You only live once, so don't obsess and worry of what people think. The problem is that we humans look at our bodies in such a sexual way. Yes, I agree, class always wins. I dress classy. However, if you're at the beach, you should wear a bikini. It's hot. Show skin, but don't be trashy about it.
    Also, regarding your shoulders, don't worry, men don't usually get turned on by shoulders.
    Keep a coverup nearby at first.
    All the best, and God bless!

• love your body n wear whatever u want