Why do a lot of black men think sneakers are appropriate formal attire?

Why do a lot of black men thing sneakers are appropriate formal attire?
I've seen this in real life too... Why?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they connect the price tag with formality - which just isn't the case...

0|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm black, I wear dress shoes and suit for formal occasions. I think it was from being in the military for a few years. But I do not think it is just black guys who do this. I see kids of all colors doing it, I do not think the younger generation really likes dressing formal for anything, I've been to weddings and funerals and sure enough there is the guy who is in his dress shirt from prom that still fits, jeans and sketchers. And I have seen this guy in different races and I see girls of all colors dress like one of the wives on those sports wives shows.

I think we as people need to understand that the media knows what will get them views. The media knows that having a person of certain colors works better for certain stories and will get them more views. They know a story about a black school shooter will barely make a ripple but a white school shooter will have the nation on its knees. They know people would skim over a story about a white guy robbing a 7/11 but a story about a black guy robbing one will get everyone's attention.
    I won't call anyone racist here but your views of certain demographics maybe warped due to the media.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• I wear chucks with formal dresses, and to dinner parties, holiday parties. It's just a fashion choice; and, honestly no one cares whether or not you like it or not. :)

0|0
    0|1
  • No idea lol it might be all they have in their wardrobe or what they're comfortable with but at least one dressy shoe won't hurt, i see it way too often

0|0
    0|0
  • I like sneakers with a suit. Think it looks cool but to each their own.

0|0
    0|0
  • because it looks nice. y do u even care

0|0
    0|0
    • No it doesn't, it looks like trash

• Show All
    • they like it... the same as u probably like stuff others don't. And I'm just pointing out your ignorance at caring about the fashion sense of someone else when it has nothing to do with u yet u have to bad mouth it

• @Asker I understand your point but there was no need to make a post about it

• It's hip hop, the stars.

0|0
    0|1
  • If they're expensive they're fancy lol

0|0
    0|1
  • I wear them too and I am not black. I couldn't give 2 shits what other people consider formal or not.

0|0
    0|1
  • they like comfortable things , they don't care what others thing

0|0
    0|1
  • Because they ballin 🏀😂

Tbh, I don't know 😂

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Im black, and I think it looks retarded.
    I have tennis shoes, to work out in, then I have yard shoes, then I have Dress tennis shoes, then I have Dress Shoes, then I have work shoes.
    I think the younger gen, is just messed up in the head.

0|1
    0|0
  • They are all hip hoppers, that's the clothing attire they feel comfortable with.
    What's the problem.
    Also, these are celebs, they can wear that.

As you can see, Obama doesn't wear that, because he's not a celeb, he's a civil servant of the highest office.

0|0
    0|0
  • lol, the Weeknd trying to get in the picture. My answer to your question is this... They don't. They just know they can get away with it, and it's more comfortable

0|0
    0|0
  • lol your talking about African Americans. Africans are too dam formal my dad wore a suit o shopping in Woolworths. WTF.

0|0
    0|0
  • They don't think it's formal, they just want comfort over style

1|0
    0|0
  • same way T-shirts were considered underwear before the 50`s until Marlon Brando made it famous

0|0
    0|0
  • Who cares what is proper or not? Wear whatever you feel like.

0|0
    0|0
  • its not about being proper its about being them
    they dont care what others think is right

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause the you gotta show off the presidential kicks

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do you care? Im just curious.

0|0
    0|0