How do you think of young boys wearing dresses in some earlier centuries?

This is a Flemish boy of 1625 in a dress.
How do you think of young boys wearing dresses in some earlier centuries?I accidentally found something in the Wikipedia that European young boys of several year old wore dresses somehow similar to young girls from middle 16th century to about late 19th century. However there some subtle differences between boys and girls dresses, as well as their toys and accessories. It's surprising and interesting for me. How do you girls and guys think?
Updates:
Here is the Wikipedia link: en. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

There're also some pictures about boy in dress in the Museum of Childhood, London.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It wasn't a European Thing. It was an Everyone Thing. And Everyone did it well into the 1900s because it's easier to deal with a kid wearing a dress than trying to get pants to fit over cloth diapers that probably leaked.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Norms and ways were different back then. Those clothes were obviously expensive, indicating social class and rank. So more than anything it's not the cut, it's the materials used and difficulty of workmanship needed to tailor those clothes that indicate that this kid was obviously royalty.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't know they actually wore dresses as an every day thing, but I knew parents used to dress their little boys up as girls for photographs for some reason. Not sure what time that was though

0|0
    0|0
  • They still do but mostly just babies in Catholic baptism

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard that boys wore dresses to and it was common back then.

0|0
    0|0
    • Really commom now? But I don' t see any around.

• Nuu not now😂like in those olden times, I think I heard boys wore dresses till they were like up to 5 years, but like on those old 17-18 century

• Sorry for misunderstanding. The wikipedia says, it is until an age that varied between two and eight.

• I like it
    I would even love to tryout dresses

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• No problem. They could wear them today, if they wanted to. Kind of cute.

0|0
    0|0
  • fucking adorable xD

1|0
    0|0
  • Creepy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men used to wear high heels back than also

0|0
    0|0
  • it was normal in that time but looks weird now

0|0
    0|0
    • Guys in skirts can be seen on fashion show, but not for everyday dress.

Recommended myTakes