Is it weird to wear a regular dress to prom?

My prom is April 7th. I have looked at several bridal stores and designer dress stores. I really dont like anything that has lace, sequins, rhinestones, poofy ball gown ish, has flowers. I don't want a two piece either. I also don't feel like spending a fortune on a dress for one night! I have a black dress and a pink dress that are similar to these pictures and i've worn them to homecoming (the pink dress doesn't have a slit like that and has straps but its the same length). I really don't like any of the prom dresses that I have seen and tried on, i've went to around 9 stores already. My friends are telling me I have to have a prom dress for prom. My friends dresses have costed well over $400 and are all glitzy, glam, some have ballgowns, mermaid bottoms, 2 pieces, all sequin etc. I am not into that. Their like its the only night you can dress up as a princess (I'm a tomboy, and i hate dresses). I'm just looking for something comfortable because I know i'll be in it for hours on end and their like your already spending $125 on the ticket and we get to eat a fancy dinner. (We are having the after prom at a rented out night club with DJ's and its gonna be extremely crowded and hot and its from like 9pm-6am). I don't really have any jewelry except chokers, and don't plan on buying any. I'm also just planning on straightening my hair and doing my own makeup. Is this a weird thing to do?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I wanna go to prom because is my last chance to go and it's my senior prom. My friends want me to go too. I just can't really afford an expensive dress with my job and I don't like the dresses that I've seen. I also don't want my parents wasting their money on an expensive dress that I'll only wear once.
I don't understand why I have to go all out for prom. What's wrong with the black dress, hair straightened and makeup? I am not into the whole getting dressed up thing. I also don't see why some of you think I shouldn't go because I don't want to waste the time getting all dressed up. It's gonna be ruined by the end of the night anyways. I'm not getting pictures taken either.

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• girls can wear any dress they want to prom , sure some will choose something more fancy but any dress is going to work for that type of event

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No. It's perfectly fine. I have seen many people wear summer dresses or homecoming dresses to prom. Prom dresses are pretty pricey anyways. I think you will be fine. Not everybody has a wealthy family and not everybody is a girly girl. You don't need to be a girly girl to go to prom and you don't have to go all out either. I think it's actually nice that you don't want your parents to waste money on a dress you'll only wear once, thats a smart move. Pick a dress, go to prom and have fun with your friends. The only people who will care about what you wear are insecure girls themselves.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• In my opinion black dress is really nice. Most girls in my country would wear something like that to their prom and make them look as elegant as they can.

I myself like simple stuff on girls.

0|1
    0|0
  • Go the way you want. You're stressing out over the wrong things.

0|2
    0|0
  • Nah, just wear a regular dress, it'll still look nice!

0|0
    0|0
  • why bother with what others think, just do what you want and makes you comfortable

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. I'm sure you will look great!

0|1
    0|0
  • i think its pretty awesome

0|1
    0|0
  • No!! Save your money and use a regular dress. 😊

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 16

• It's not weird, my friend wore a regular dress to prom, you're not alone. You are allowed to wear whatever you like. Opting for a more casual dress compared to the other dresses is good, you're being modern that way.
    Do you like leather clothing? I'm thinking you will be more or less okay with wearing this dress, plus it isn't that expensive.
    shop.mango.com/.../bicolor-dress
    It would look good with a choker and combat boots, an attire that you would probably go for. It's the polar opposite of a fairy princess look, lol. It's fine if you choose to be different and not wear something as girly as what the other girls will be wearing. Don't sweat it, as long as you're at least making the effort to wear a dress, we're good. You mentioned you're a tomboy, so I assume that you wearing a dress or skirt is stepping out of your comfort zone. There is no need to take a massive step by going full on glam. I personally prefer a girly glamorous look, but you do you. I'm sure no one will be judging you :)

0|0
    0|0
  • kinda yeah... I mean prom is meant to be a special night where u actually dress uo and do amazing things and have a good time. I mean it's an expensive time and yeah u can wear a plain dress but basically u said u hate everything that most dresses have unless it's just plain. maybe at least try going for something different or put forth a little more effort

0|0
    4|0
    • u can get really nice dresses offline. it's how to got my dresses for my junior and senior proms. and I didn't spend much at all for them

• You're only going to wear it once. It makes sense to not spend a ton of money on it. It's very unlikely that you won't go to another event where you can wear your prom dress for a second time. Unless you're like me and have plans to one day go to an annual masquerade ball that's held in France.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you wear something that you are not comfortable in and you don't like, your body language at the prom will show it. You won't be as confident and the supposedly "nice" dress that you have on, won't look right. Just do your own thing. It may sound cliche, but who cares what other people think? Do what makes you feel more confident and I bet that you'll look stunning :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Um... yeah. Prom is all about pretty much showing off your dress. Stop being cheap and go to Macys they have prom dresses for like $150. Its one night, wearing a sequin dress for one night won't kill you! Buy some heels, go get your hair done and enjoy prom! Stop worrying about money. Prom only happens once in your life, so enjoy it

0|0
    6|0
  • Find a cheaper dress that's long. Short dresses at prom stick out because prom is typically a long dress occasion. But a cheaper, long dress would look just as nice. As long as you have a good time :)

0|0
    0|0
  • No it nothing wrong with a regular dress. Why buy and expensive prom dress that's only gonna be worn once? As long as you have fun that's all that should matter

0|0
    0|0
  • Wear what you want and are comfortable in. I don't get the whole spending that much for a dress either.

0|0
    0|0
  • just don't go then... why are you going if you don't actually want to do anything nice for it. It is a waste of your money and your time.

0|0
    4|0
    • Have you looked at anything online there are gorgeous dresses probably in your budget that are simple but still prom worthy.

• that's how I got mine when I was in school. I literally got 2 amazing dresses that where under $200 for junior and senior prom. And one of the dresses I believe was under $100 and I still use it

• That's better than a prom dress!! I like regular dresses

0|0
    0|0
  • I wore my homecoming dress to prom! A lot of those prom dresses are super uncomfortable and you will be in them for hours, not to mention overpriced! If anyone says anything i'm sure it will be those bratty girls whose parents dropped $900 on a dress for their "princess", have no job, and their parents get them whatever they want, those girls will have a hard time in life once their off mommy and daddys paycheck. Do you really care what they think? You sound like you know what your doing and good for you for not making your parents waste all that money on a stupid dress. Wear the homecoming dress and have fun at prom! You will have a good time!

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Simple dresses are actually in.

0|0
    0|0
  • no it is fine

0|0
    0|0
  • i like the pink dress

0|0
    0|0
  • There is nothing at all wrong with that. Prom is about feeling great about yourself. For lots of girls that does mean wearing one of those fancy dresses. But if that isn't your style, there's nothing that says you have to. The most important thing is that you wear what you want to and that you feel comfortable and good and have a good time. Enjoy your prom!! :)

1|0
    0|0
  • hell yeah. how can u afford wifi but not a dress?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes