Is it weird to wear a regular dress to prom?

My prom is April 7th. I have looked at several bridal stores and designer dress stores. I really dont like anything that has lace, sequins, rhinestones, poofy ball gown ish, has flowers. I don't want a two piece either. I also don't feel like spending a fortune on a dress for one night! I have a black dress and a pink dress that are similar to these pictures and i've worn them to homecoming (the pink dress doesn't have a slit like that and has straps but its the same length). I really don't like any of the prom dresses that I have seen and tried on, i've went to around 9 stores already. My friends are telling me I have to have a prom dress for prom. My friends dresses have costed well over $400 and are all glitzy, glam, some have ballgowns, mermaid bottoms, 2 pieces, all sequin etc. I am not into that. Their like its the only night you can dress up as a princess (I'm a tomboy, and i hate dresses). I'm just looking for something comfortable because I know i'll be in it for hours on end and their like your already spending $125 on the ticket and we get to eat a fancy dinner. (We are having the after prom at a rented out night club with DJ's and its gonna be extremely crowded and hot and its from like 9pm-6am). I don't really have any jewelry except chokers, and don't plan on buying any. I'm also just planning on straightening my hair and doing my own makeup. Is this a weird thing to do?

• Yes
  • No
I wanna go to prom because is my last chance to go and it's my senior prom. My friends want me to go too. I just can't really afford an expensive dress with my job and I don't like the dresses that I've seen. I also don't want my parents wasting their money on an expensive dress that I'll only wear once.
I don't understand why I have to go all out for prom. What's wrong with the black dress, hair straightened and makeup? I am not into the whole getting dressed up thing. I also don't see why some of you think I shouldn't go because I don't want to waste the time getting all dressed up. It's gonna be ruined by the end of the night anyways. I'm not getting pictures taken either.

178

Most Helpful Guy

• girls can wear any dress they want to prom , sure some will choose something more fancy but any dress is going to work for that type of event

Most Helpful Girl

• No. It's perfectly fine. I have seen many people wear summer dresses or homecoming dresses to prom. Prom dresses are pretty pricey anyways. I think you will be fine. Not everybody has a wealthy family and not everybody is a girly girl. You don't need to be a girly girl to go to prom and you don't have to go all out either. I think it's actually nice that you don't want your parents to waste money on a dress you'll only wear once, thats a smart move. Pick a dress, go to prom and have fun with your friends. The only people who will care about what you wear are insecure girls themselves.