Anybody else agree that women's clothing sizes are idiotic?

While I went shopping for new gym clothes recently, I tried on 3 different shirt from the same retailer. Two were in the size large, the other one was a medium.
The first large one could've fit two of me into it, the second one was almost too tight at the chest and incredibly large in the midsection. The medium one fit horribly all over.
Why can't retailers decide on one standard so that us women don't have to try on 20 shirts before finding one that fits?
  • Absolutely
  • No, wtf are you talking about
  • I'm a guy
    Vote C

80

Most Helpful Girl

• Well... in a word... no.

Most obviously, there are a shit-ton of different female body shapes --
    www.weddingdressesilove.com/.../...body_shapes.jpg

-- and every brand has its own, different silhouettes around which it designs its clothes.
    (The brands hire "fit models" -- NOT "fitness models", but "fit models" -- to serve as the basis for their sizing. Fit models are NORMAL PEOPLE, with normal body shapes, that the brand wants to use as the basis for its clothing lines. Some brands, especially athletic brands, tend to use fit models with smaller busts and bigger butts. Other brands use the opposite. Still others use hourglass women, or women whose bodies are practically straight-up-and-down.)

You can't possibly be built like EVERY different female silhouette -- so, it's perfectly reasonable that you'll wear different letter sizes in different brands. Or even in tops and bottoms from the SAME brand (especially if you're a busty woman with a small waist).

Also, some brands make clothes with a huge variety of different fits. For instance, the VS Pink "oversized fit" shirts are notoriously gigantic -- no kidding, one of my girlfriends' 6'5" 330lb husband can easily fit into a size *medium* "oversized sweatshirt" from VS Pink -- so, anyone who doesn't want an uber-slouchy, about-to-fall-off fit is gna need to size down at least 2 sizes in those (from her OTHER VS clothing).
    Etc etc.

Basically, at the end of the day... If you care, you care. It's not much of an imposition to get to know certain brands, and to know how those brands' different styles and silhouettes are going to fit.
    I mean, I know my fav brands well enough that I can, with complete confidence, buy fairly expensive items on final sale as gifts -- sometimes even for women I've never even seen beyond a photo or two. Within a particular brand and style, it really is *THAT* consistent.

And if you don't care enough to know the fit of yr fav brands... then, well, you just don't care enough, so it's all g either way.