Girls, any advice on stepping outside of your clothing comfort zone?

I've always been the type to wear comfortable clothing... regular jeans and a t-shirt with my hair in a ponytail. I've reached the point where I want to start dressing older and appealing like, I have fishnet stockings I'm not even comfortable wearing.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I get that you want to make this new leap, but you will never feel comfortable or at ease wearing something that is totally not you. You'll hate it and walk around looking all weird, because you wish you were in jeans and a t-shirt. Instead I would advise taking a few baby steps first. Instead of complete overhaul, try upping the style on your t-shirt and jeans combo. Get a darker washed skinny jean with some kind of detail, like a cute side zipper up the shin, or acid washed, or ripped, and pair it with an actual blouse with a print, pattern, or embellishment on it. Then slowly incorporate other details like different accessories, try a jean capri, add a hat, then work your way on up to figuring out the fishnets. If you don't like them, that's okay. It's better that you love what you're wearing and feel good, then try to dress a certain way because you think you have to (that is, outside of work/school environments with dress codes that is)

7|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• SHOOOPPPIINNG!!! hahaha

no really, take out all your clothes in your closet and decide what you still like and what not, be critical and than go shopping, for things you like and feel confortable with :) have fun!
    also during shopping, try new things, just for fun.
    You never wear the color green? Try it! Still not yours, leave it haha
    or you dont like skirts but never put one on? Try it, play with it and find out what you want

0|0
    0|0
  • when i was 12 i was really interested in sexy outfits makeup lingerie i wore corsetts i wore garter belts... i even found some old fashioned lingerie and posed in the mirror... i started doing that... wearing heels... all at a young age... i think i had it over most girls as my mother was into fashion designing but she worked at a boutigue... she bought designers dresses... it might've been a bad thing than a good thing because i got involved in sex way too young because the clothes do attract... as they say if you want to wear the clothes then you better live up to them... but i was interested in all that and wore some riddiculus outfits in public... often wearing dresses that barely covered my butt and i wanted that look i loved the thrill the excitement the adrenlaine rush... and not every girl will be interested in that kind of thing... as most girls on here are mentioning simple things like jewelry pieces or simply wearing fishnets which i wore at 13... unfortunately i was into all that a very young age... now in the past 2 years i've hit a major depression... suddenly i just feel horrible about everything.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask yourself why you're doing this. Is it because you want to or because you feel pressured from other people?

Take a trusted friend with you shopping and have her help you pick things out that you're comfortable with but also feel a little more appealing.

I've never worn fishnet stockings except as part of a Halloween costume. I think they're one of the tackiest things ever invented.

3|0
    0|0
    • (The pattern is going to stretch where your legs are wider and make them look fatter)

• -start small, try one color piece at a time
    -add one new stylish garment and get rid of one comfortable garment, in a few months, you should have more flexibility with your wardrobe but won't feel rushed
    -invest in pieces ex) a gorgeous blouse, a new blazer, boots
    -try different hair styles to find out what you like and gain exposure to different styling skills.
    -watch youtube OOTD and other fashion content :)
    have fun
    I like Marzia and Samantha Maria for style inspo :) Best

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't jump straight into fishnets. Start off with a plain skirt and top that you like and that you feel comfortable with. Take it from there. A dress or two, maybe.

2|0
    0|0
  • I suggest you don't try going full vampy straight away but rather updating slowly.
    1. Replace t shirt with blouses
    2. Replace jeans with better fitting jeans or regular pants
    3. Buy more adult shoes.
    4. As for hair, if you add a bit of make up you'll look older. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Go shopping with a fashionable person. Wear black cotton sporty straight pants (they look like dress pants) with comfortable cotton button down fitted shirts. Layer sweater on top. Nice black flats. I'm a comfy gal too. They have the tiny fishnet holes that go with any skirt. Try pencil skirts once in a while, uncomfortable but sophisticated.

1|0
    0|0
  • Look at fashion magazines, ask a friend for style advice, or even just go to a new store and pick out stuff that you like. Just make sure you don't wear stuff that you don't actually like, you have to like it to be able to rock it.

2|0
    0|0
  • all I can say is I don't like to go out looking like trash I hardly ever wear sweat pants and baggy clothes and I don't do it to impress people I do it because I like to look good all I have for advice is just to try it! its always good to try something new!

1|0
    0|0
  • Go see a stylist who can work with you to create a stylish but comfortable look using your own style and body shape to make the best out of your image.

1|0
    0|0
  • Change it up gradually. Try on different clothes, makeup, hairstyles and see what looks good and feels good. Take photos and compare them, or ask your best friends

1|0
    0|0
  • Comfortable clothing can still be cute! Just try lots of looks and see what looks n feels right. Everyone's different. Don't follow trends. Be you. Be happy. Be comfortable. But try things out.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say you don't need to step out of your comfort zone, just wear things that look flattering on you outside of a t-shirt. Know your body type and what is suitable

1|0
    0|0
  • i fake my confidence til i make it, i love makeup and being adventours with makeup, so i bought a black lipstick anad rocked it to school, i faked my confidence until a bunch of people started complimenting me. so yeah just fake it

1|0
    0|0
  • Start off small with one article of clothing at a time. As time goes by, make it two then three. As time goes by you'll start to feel more comfortable.

1|0
    0|0
  • You have to start little/simple and build your way up.

Or just take the dive, and take it often.

For example, I got these really cool (and large) statement earrings, and I just had to get them, so I did. There were smaller versions, but they didn't look good on me, I didn't like them. After days of being so nervous to wear them out, I just decided to do it! It worked out well, since my clothes are very simple/minimalistic, so there was a balance. I wear them 1-2 times a week, and feel much more comfortable in them now.

1|0
    0|0
  • Start out small, like high waisted jeans with a cute cropped tshirt and work your way up.

1|0
    0|0
  • Try out with nicer blouses and nicer jeans. Like a fitted dark Jean. And flats or heels or somthing

1|0
    0|0
  • I started with wild color hairs. I felt free and the rest just fell into place.

1|0
    0|0
  • Just because you want to start taking more risks and being more daring doesn't mean you should be uncomfortable with what you're wearing!! Even if you look smoking hot if you're walking around not feeling confident it will show! start with trying different hair styles and maybe experimenting with different makeup, if you like makeup!! so many awesome youtube tutorials (: Go out and spoil yourself! get your nails done and buy a new outfit that you wouldn't normally buy! looking good always starts with feeling good! it doesn't have to be fishnet stockings, thigh high boots and a super crazy tight shirt that you'll spend the entire day either pulling up or down (again unless that's the look you're going for!) it could be a ripped pair of jeans some cute shoes and a top compliments your body type. and if you're ever stuck the nice people in the clothing stores get paid to try and get you to find things you love an buy it so ask them for what they think would look flattering. good luck with the change!!

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes