What are the basics on men's hair grooming etiquette from the women's perspective?

I'm looking for genuine guide lines a normal man should follow to be considered well cared for without looking narcissistic.

And I'm not talking just hairstyle and facial hair.

Speaking in general what would you consider acceptable?

What are the does and don'ts here girls?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If I had to boil it down to 2 words, I'd say, clean and neat. How you arrive at those two words is up to your discretion, but I think guys know crap facial hair when they see it, and you can feel/smell/see some dirty greasy, messy unkempt hair.

I really don't mind how long it takes a guy to get there. I'd rather you take a longer time than maybe the average guy then the opposite which is no time and you look a mess. My only other thing aside from lack of neat and clean, would be super freaky manicured eyebrows or that weird shaving of the facial hair that leaves it looking doll like or doing weird stuff with your beard like curling it or growing it and braiding it... no, just say no.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• Wash, brush/comb. If he spikes it a bit with gel, that's fine. Two times a month to the barber if he wears it shorter, once a month if he wears it longer. Shaving (trimming and shaping) is usually a daily thing, unless he's the type to grow a small bush and then hack it all off.

1|1
    0|0
  • If you look like you can walk into a job interview at any moment you're good. Polish whatever look you are going for. I. e. Trim the long beard, style longer hair... don't look like you just got out of bed. Nothing wrong with wanting your hair to look nice just don't make it seem like a big deal. My guy asks me how his hair looks and that leaves it to me to do the pruning without him being that guy looking at himself in a window reflection lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I like long beard and hair. But that's just me. I don't think you have to overdo it while taking care of your skin or hair. Guys generally don't care about it as much as girls do and that's normal. I guess just some good smelling hair conditioner and an amazing smelling deo should do the trick!

0|0
    0|0
  • DO wash, comb, and present a neat appearance, preferably what would be acceptable in the work place
    DON'T comb or groom on a constant, unnecessary basis
    DON'T look in the mirror on a constant, unnecessary basis... this is just annoying and makes it seem like your egotistic

1|0
    0|0
  • Do:
    Shower regularly
    Use deodorant
    Trim facial hair (shaving it is up to you)
    Keep your clothes clean
    Don't:
    Wear loud clothing (ex. Golden everything, denim everything) in casual to formal situations
    Underdress
    Wear shirts that cut off at the sides (this is a matter of taste but, save it for sporting activities)

Most of this is common sense, but I can't really come up with any other guidelines that don't concern personal preference.

2|0
    0|0
  • Take care of your skin. Get a good moisturizer. Nose hair, eyebrow hair and mustache hair should always be trimmed! Don't wear wrinkled clothing.
    Smell good!

0|0
    0|0
  • not a fan of facial hair
    my favourite haircut for dudes is when its kinda long with the bangs in the front
    second fave is long with no bangs no longer than an inch above shoulders
    third fave is when its pointy lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I'm country lol so I like em rough looking. But not like wtf just happens rough like oo dang you so fine rough. Cleaned up, but not like suit and tie clean. Feeling a little greedy lol. I think your persona will play a role in it too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neat neat neat :)
    If your beard is shitty, just shave it all off. Hair... depends... it can be short or long but it needs to be clean and regularly cut.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say make sure to shower regularly. Make sure to clean your hands and face regularly as well. Hands especially if you work a 'dirty' job.

Get regular haircuts so that your hair looks decent. I'm not saying you have to cut it short every time, but getting a trim can make your hair look healthier.

Shampoo AND condition your hair. You don't have to condition it all the time, but you should be conditioning it regularly (depends on your hair type) so that you don't dry out your hair and protect it from damage.

Moisturize your skin! You don't have to buy anything fancy, just a basic over the counter moisturizer will do!

If you shave, make sure you shave regularly. Moisturize after shaving.

If you choose to have facial hair, keep it trim and clean.

0|0
    0|0
  • Shave your nose hairs and your unibrow. I see so many guys who don't do this and it's gross looking.

Also, when you shave, make it clean-cut-looking. Make it look like you put in a little effort.

0|0
    0|0

• Nice, neatly done eyebrows- but not over the top Instagram guru shaped.

Cleanly shaven or light stubble- no weird mustaches, although full beards can sometimes be nice.

For hair, a short style or something a little more mid length is pretty much always nice. Bowl cuts, mullets, scraggly shoulder length hair are all things that scare most women away. If you can pull of long, majestic locks- do it.

Hair product, when your hair looks wet or weirdly crispy- then you have too much.

Probably the most important thing is cleanliness- greasy hair, dandruff, uni brows, scraggly stubble are all signs of poor hygiene. (And that's a huge no)

You can look rugged but still be clean though, you don't have to be meticulous and obsessive. It's always nice when women see that you've made the effort- but being too obsessive about looks makes you seem a little shallow or narcissistic.

Basically, shower, shave, cut your hair and you're gold. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Be hygienic and don't resemble Harambe.

0|1
    0|0
  • Elmo's fire great song strange as a name tho

0|0
    1|0
  • Trim.. pretty much everywhere, for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Clean, conditioned properly, maybe 1 product in it. I don't care for sticky or crunchy hair on anyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just have good hygiene and do a quick brush through. Obviously, hair care varies from person to person depending on length and texture, but that's how to go about it best for the most part.

As for facial hair, I personally prefer clean shaven, but do what you like.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me if you have a beard groom it and get the occational hair cut so it doesn't look raggedy. As long as you shower daily I don't care about the rest of it though.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 0

Be the first guy to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes