Is it acceptable for men to wear makeup (to any degree) in current western society and why?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think when guys hear the word make-up, they tend to think of what girls do with it... lipstick, eyeliner, blush, what have you. I photograph a lot of people all day long, men and women, and I suggest to male clients, usually with a little help from their female friends or spouses, or girlfriends that they dab on a little concealer here or there for the blemishes that they complain about to me and want me to fix in post. I don't want to do that for every single photo, so we dab on concealer and they wine about it and think it makes them womanly and whatever, but then they see the pictures and just like women, when it's done and blended, you can't even tell. Even the manliest action star actors in the world wear make-up on set to cover everything from scars, to blemishes, to freckles, to wrinkles.

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Most girls are saying yes.

I strongly suspect they mean 'it's okay and men shouldn't be shamed for doing so'

The pertinent question though is 'would you be less likely to date a man who you noticed wore makeup?'

And I suspect you will find most women react negatively. But maybe I'm wrong.

4|2
    2|0
    • Tbh I'd be more likely to date a guy who wears makeup, since I appreciate it when guys aren't afraid to defy gender stereotypes.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 44

• Definitely.
    Especially something non-noticeable like concealer...

2|2
    2|2
    • isn't concealer for your skin? isn't our skins meant to look slightly more rough so i'd have thought the eyebrow thickener would be the first thing?

• only stage makeup

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it would be heavily criticized by the majority, but then again, drag Queens seem to be more accepted now so there's that. I personally wouldn't really care if a dude wore makeup, more power to him.

0|2
    0|0
  • Obviously it is , there's a male who is one of the representatives for covergirl , he's in a few of their commercials. Most actors /anyone on TV who are males wear makeup too, we may just not always realize it if it looks natural enough. I think its acceptable , a man using foundation doesn't effect anyone else.

0|0
    0|1
  • It is but it's still a little taboo. It really depends on WHAT make-up they're wearing. Like a guy wearing foundation and concealer isn't as noticeable or weird as a guy who wears eye shadow, blush, and eyeliner.

1|1
    0|0
  • Manliner is pretty popular and not frowned upon for rockers, in my opinion.
    I think make up for straight men is still looked down upon in the US. And even gay men would probably get flack. Personally, I don't want to date a guy who wears bright red lipstick and eye shadow, but if he wants to color correct/cover acne scars/minimize pores-I'm all for it

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont care what somebody else does. But I would never date a man that would wear makeup. If a guy in my age range wears makeup and is not in the theater or something like that... they are probably gay. I like manly men.

0|2
    1|1
  • YES ALWAYS. I think they look great. Straight or lgbt Idc who wears it, wear it and work that shit. If it makes you happy then by all means do whatever the fuck you want. Its not hurting you & its not hurting me. I have a few guy friends who wear makeup and its soooo good. They're so talented. If a girl can wear makeup so can a man.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes, it is but people are going to assume that you're gay. That's not intended to be hateful but it's true.

0|1
    0|0
  • Why do you all say that's gay? does putting make up on make me a lesbian? the prejudice, oh my. It's absolutely okay as far as you don't go out with bright pink lipstick and eyeshadow.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm wondering why it's not acceptable for men to wear makeup? Also why not skirt?

4|1
    0|1
  • People can say it's acceptable and it's fine for them to do whatever they please. But they will be looked at differently by others and a lot won't approve

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone is saying yes? Wtf? unless you're gay or have a role in a movie, you should not be wearing makeup. Leave that to the old women, whom the makeup was created for.

0|1
    0|1
    • Old women? Lol
      You feel even young woman should not wear any makeup?

• Show All
    • @creativeuserguy both is fine. But a man should have some hair.

• Some hair as in where?
      Leave lower legs hair trimmed short and shave EVERYWHERE else?

• If they really wanna, it's okay. Guys kinda look god without makeup anyways tho so I don't know why they'd need it but alright lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's acceptable in most western societies. It was always practiced in the drag-scene, though is become 'acceptable' more widely nowadays thanks to the whole LGBTQ+ movement in 2016.

Is it encouraged/praised, though? Not so much. I mean, not if a man will wear obvious amounts of makeup like lipstick+eyeshadow and such to places as public as the mall, school, etc.. You can almost guarantee that if you do so, people will tolerate it at best, but you'll more than likely get an uncomfortable amount of scathing looks of disapproval.

0|0
    0|0
  • i like eyeliner on dudes~ it's badass (and hot).

but hey, if it makes him feel good and he's not hurting anyone, it's fine..

0|0
    0|1
  • no. only acceptable on gay men because its feminine...

0|3
    0|0
  • Male models wear makeup. And the best makeup artists are male

3|0
    0|1
  • No, this society for some reason hates men , not only do they hate men but they also hate feminine men so much more.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't mind. Women wear it because it is fun, or makes them feel confident. I don't mind a guy doing it either.

1|0
    0|1
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 48

• Nyerrr... nyah? Nargh?

I don't know how to answer it. I don't like it personally but won't judge a guy or avoid befriending him for it.

I don't like the idea so much if it becomes a widespread cultural phenomena. I like guys to be rugged and tough and not focus so much on beauty treatment. We're supposed to write our names with pee on the wall as I see it, not wear foundation. Hurrah!

That said, it's okay to me if a guy chooses to do this.

0|1
    0|0
    • In my case I have this image of a male "ideal" which is somewhat going towards gender roles, I'm trapped in a pseudo-traditional state where I still like the idea of promoting guys to be rugged and tough (girls can be whatever they want). At the same time it's a very personal and subjective "ideal" and therefore not something I hold to guys everywhere.

• Show All
    • @TreeStar There is this fuzzy line to me between "acceptance" and "promotion". It is a fine line and I'm totally in favor of "acceptance" for lots of things but not "promotion". Another case where I stand in this regard is promoting guys who are far more sensitive (if "sensitive" means easily offended). I want to accept such guys but not promote a society where there's more and more of them, and that's a difficult balancing act.

• @TreeStar As a totally different subject that is not related to this one to illustrate the fine line between "acceptance" and "promotion", take teenage sexuality. I want to accept it since it's a thing now, and there are complex societal forces that make it impractical to expect it to go away. I want to make sure we provide the proper education and access to birth control to at least make sure it's safe. Yet I don't want to "promote" it. And that is a very, very tricky balance, because accepting something can normalize it in society and make more people want to do it. It require a very, very deft approach as I see it to accept something without promoting it.

• 0|0
    0|0
  • actually...
    it's totally upon you...
    it is not bad...

that's your choice...
    a girl can be a feminist
    why don't a boy could wear makeup...
    do what you want...
    if you feel good then do it...

do not do too much of makeup...
    like girls... that will be weird...
    and please do not say you want equality for this...

i never do make up or stuff like that...

0|0
    0|0
    • "Please do not say you want equality for this"

I'm failing to understand what you mean by this?

• Show All
    • why we need equality for this...

• this is a normal this...
      limited to an individual opinion and interest...

we need equality when we want something for a group of people
      like girls want wage rate equality..

there is no need of equality so things at small level...

• I think it's acceptable. I'm a musician and I wear eyeliner all the time for shows and whatever so going on. It looks badass and it goes with my glam metal based image. It gives it a tough look in my opinion. I'm not gay or anything but i just use irnos for look. More girls talk to me and ask for make I promise advice. Haha if you're gonna do something out of the ordinary you gotta be confident about it and not give a fuck when someone makes a snippy comment

1|0
    0|1
  • If you mean grease from working on the car, then yea it's acceptable.

1|2
    0|0
  • So the 'yes' men are this new crop of girlie-men they've been raising up to be just like girls?
    No, men are not like women. Let men be men. Rugged. Manly. Men.

0|3
    1|0
  • unfortunately no, if you're a guy and you're ugly, you're pretty much screwed. I like to play with makeup anyway, but I've been made fun of for not washing it off well enough

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes it is. There are lots of men who wear make up. whether its only a bit of concealer to cover up red marks, or some guys wear a full face of make up. I knew a guy in high school who wore lipstick, and lots of make up companies are now using male models. Its become very normalized

0|0
    0|1
    • plus on instagram there are soooo many guys who are famous for wearing make up. Jefree Star, Patrick Star, Bretman Rock, Manny Mua, etc.

• What's next? Men bitching about having their nail polish ruined or their skirts being too modest? For fucks sake! If this is what "western culture" has come to I want no part of it!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I feel if we are really looking for gender equality then it is necessary to realize some practices will change, and that if we look at most cultures across the globe men do wear make-up even in our modern day western culture. Also make up for the most part is just an extension of hygienics for the sake of beautification, whether it be for enjoyment or an express purpose such as getting a mate this practice should be a right that anyone could exercise.

-Sincerely,
    Newpositive

0|0
    0|1
  • guys do it for the news reports on tv for lighting reasons and its done in movies. i dont really see a reason why it would be weird.

0|0
    0|0
  • Would skin care products like eye cream for wrinkles count as makeup? That's the only thing I use for my eyes to reduce wrinkles and bags under them. It's a men's skin care product called Tiege Hanley. I don't do anything like eye liner or lipstick as those are for women only.

0|0
    0|0
    • Sadly with the effectiveness of Tiege Hanley, the possibilities of men using makeup will drop drastically! 😉

• I dress in drag a few times a year for parties and such and no, even women and other gays willl point and laugh at you. Everyone saying yes is dreaming of the world as it SHOULD be, not living in the world that is.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's acceptable but that doesn't mean there aren't people who may tease or look down on you for doing so

1|0
    0|0
  • Listen tinkerbelle. I know you are all excited because of the wave of transvestites who run around calling themselves transgenders to get accepted. You think it's great because now guys can wear makeup because in the past women liked guys like Vin diesel and now they go for faggy people with faggy clothing and hair like Justin Bieber.

Well, guess what. No matter how many kids and internet people say "Being different is cool' or "You can do what you want, wear makeup" there is a reality that you totally miss

1. Transvestives are ALL disease filled prostitutes that use drugs until they are dead.
    2. If you wear makeup then you'll get no where in life. No job, no career, no marriage with kids and a normal life, no house in the suburbs.

So grow UP and stop doing the whole "cool to be different childish thing.

0|3
    3|0
  • It's not for me but why would I care if someone else wants to do it? It's entirely up to them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actors definitely do. Outside, I don't know. I don't, myself, but don't see the big deal. In short, there are other, more immediate, issues to consider.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the location. Here in Seattle anything goes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope I don't find it appropriate or acceptable anywhere and I live in the west.

1|1
    1|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes