Is it OK to wear military uniform to a Ball?

There is an Aviation ball for student pilots like myself. We're all expected to be in uniform at the ball. However, my boyfriend doesn't have any formal clothes and he says he will have to wear his Dress Blues (he is a US marine). Is this a bad idea?

• No. People will laugh!
    Vote A
  • It's OK for him to wear that.
    Vote B
  • Uniformed couples. So cute!
    Vote C
  • He'll look good in that!
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't do it, since wearing the uniform means he's representing the service :o
    So anything he does wrong could be used against him :o
    It's the same thing when you'll have a licence... not so long ago a KLM pilot got fired since he was flying on the jump seat to get from A to B and had had a glass of wine before flight.
    They said: in uniform means you have to respect the values of the company and so no alcohol at all. He lost his job that day :-(

1|0
    0|0
    • I just think a military uniform would be awfully out of context and inappropriate for this situation. I'd hate to be the laughing stock of my flying school. If I wore my pilot uniform to his Marine ball, I'd think all the marines would take a good laugh at me. It goes both ways. But obviously, when I'm in uniform, I behave professional accordingly.

• Show All
    • It's more difficult to compete with experienced pilots at advanced entry. Most are bush pilots, military pilots or instructors that have accumulated thousands of hours. Unless you can show you are dedicated than them and could progress quickly if not more than them in training, I'd rather compete with ab-initios. Having a university degree in aviation gives me a nice head start.

• That's really different from Belgium... it's a fact that professional military pilots get civil licences that are equivalent to their military ones. For example a C-130 or F-16 pilot will have an ATPL.
      An instructor on a basic training aircraft would get an instructor certificate for singe engine airplanes and so on.
      But: we have a small military so the competition there is small. And we also need private jet pilots, aerial photograpy pilots and our airlines are gradually expanding.
      Most schools have good links with airlines to give their students a fair chance of a job :D

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• I've been under the impression that it's almost always okay to wear a formal military uniform in place of a suit. The only exception I can think of is maybe a funeral for a civilian.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm a civilian pilot by the way. Not military. If I was, it'd be completely acceptable for him to wear it. Why is it okay for him to wear it? Wouldn't it look out of context, silly and inappropriate? I'm sure it would attract a lot of attention.

• Show All
    • I'm not proud of his job though. And thing is, people will think we are showing off when we're actually not. Do you think he would be upset if I bought him normal formal clothes instead?

• I dunno. Ask him.

• fuck what people thinks, if you feel good in it then proudly wear it

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not an expert in military decorum, so I'm not sure about this. I would say go for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think he should wear his its not his ball

1|0
    0|0
  • Go ahead, you only live once.

0|0
    0|0
  • Kinda lame though... but, whatever

0|0
    0|0
    • I can't help but feel a bit embarrassed? I think people may laugh.

• Show All
    • Would we both be laughed at? And it kind of takes the limelight off me. Pilots are supposed to go in with non uniformed dates (most pilots are males in my class) whil we're both in uniform. And his uniform looks better than mine. But I don't want people to laugh, take a photo and make a meme out of it.

• I doubt anyone would laugh at you to your face.

• there is nothing wrong with it

0|0
    0|0
    • Nothing to be embarrassed about?

• Show All
    • I don't know, man. People will think either him or I are trying to show off. You honestly think uniformed couples are cute?

• yes there is nothing wrong with it and it shows you are committed by not making him change

What Girls Said 2

• So... you'd be embarrassed that your boyfriend is also serving his country? Just in a different branch? If anyone teases you about it then that reflects poorly on them. Not on you. And CERTAINLY not on your boyfriend.

0|0
    0|0
    • The thing is, it's an aviation ball and not a military ball. I honestly think dress blues should be left to military balls. I don't want to become a laughing stock at the ball. He'll be the only one wearing dress blues :( He's busy with deployment at the moment and may not get fancy clothing in time for it.

• Show All
    • Should I buy him normal formal clothes? Or it isn't necessary or he'll be upset? The thing is, people will think he is showing off. I do know that his dress blues will catch a lot of attention from people (not in a positive way too). And he would take the spotlight from me, I'd suppose.

• You two ought to break up if you feel that way about him. You obviously don't like him enough,

• It's ok

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes