Is it OK to wear military uniform to a Ball?

There is an Aviation ball for student pilots like myself. We're all expected to be in uniform at the ball. However, my boyfriend doesn't have any formal clothes and he says he will have to wear his Dress Blues (he is a US marine). Is this a bad idea?

• No. People will laugh!
  • It's OK for him to wear that.
  • Uniformed couples. So cute!
    Vote C
  • He'll look good in that!
    Vote D

38

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't do it, since wearing the uniform means he's representing the service :o
    So anything he does wrong could be used against him :o
    It's the same thing when you'll have a licence... not so long ago a KLM pilot got fired since he was flying on the jump seat to get from A to B and had had a glass of wine before flight.
    They said: in uniform means you have to respect the values of the company and so no alcohol at all. He lost his job that day :-(

• I just think a military uniform would be awfully out of context and inappropriate for this situation. I'd hate to be the laughing stock of my flying school. If I wore my pilot uniform to his Marine ball, I'd think all the marines would take a good laugh at me. It goes both ways. But obviously, when I'm in uniform, I behave professional accordingly.

• It's more difficult to compete with experienced pilots at advanced entry. Most are bush pilots, military pilots or instructors that have accumulated thousands of hours. Unless you can show you are dedicated than them and could progress quickly if not more than them in training, I'd rather compete with ab-initios. Having a university degree in aviation gives me a nice head start.

• That's really different from Belgium... it's a fact that professional military pilots get civil licences that are equivalent to their military ones. For example a C-130 or F-16 pilot will have an ATPL.
      An instructor on a basic training aircraft would get an instructor certificate for singe engine airplanes and so on.
      But: we have a small military so the competition there is small. And we also need private jet pilots, aerial photograpy pilots and our airlines are gradually expanding.
      Most schools have good links with airlines to give their students a fair chance of a job :D

Most Helpful Girl