Why is is so important to girls to put on makeup?

I get that it makes them feel prettier and i understand concealer but just WHY? like, what's up with eyeshadow, etc?
You don't need makeup to be beautiful!

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Tbh, in a way eyeshadow makes a bit more sense to me than concealer if you really are one of those people who are trying to express yourself. Eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick, blush, etc. if done properly can really accentuate your features. Concealer, foundation, etc are to cover up anything you don't like which is why I'm not even sure they should be considered the same thing as other products that make features pop.
    I myself have acne scars that I sometimes want to cover up but my skin is mostly clear so I try not to start adding products that may change that (aka pretty much any make up that goes beyond eyes and lips).

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Well if I had something that makes me look better than I already do, I'll definitely use it. Got my point?

4|0
    0|1
  • Pretty unfair. Women get makeup as a mask while men dont have anything. No wonder you got guys too scared to approach girls lmao.

0|0
    0|0
  • you're right. ask a girl why they do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women like to look as pretty as possible. Makes them feel confident and presentable

3|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 21

• I don't know if it's about feeling beautiful as much as it's about societal pressure. It's probably about both, though.

I don't wear makeup and never have, and I've had men and women tell me to my face that I need to wear makeup or would look even better with it. Even my mother keeps talking about Alicia Keys when she sees her and said the other day when "The Voice" was on that "she needs to go back to being feminine."

I don't feel the need to be attractive, and I think I look fine without makeup and have a feminine face. But to have so many other people tell you you "should" wear it or comment on it... I can't stand that. I deal with people pointing out how/that I don't fit in better than most people do, but I think most girls just give into that peer pressure, i. e. they see other girls doing it, they see TV and magazine ads, they see female celebrities, etc. Otherwise, you have people constantly pointing out/noticing that you're basically, in their minds, going against some dumb societal "rule" about how girls/women should look and giving you looks because you don't do what everyone else is doing. It's the same as with so many other things besides makeup that people think everyone "should" do or else they're weird.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wear eyeliner to express myself and others express themselves with makeuo and I agree everyone is pretty without it but lots are insecure because of stereotypes or they are ill and swollen looking due to bad health so they cover it up and I find that sad ;u; I think they can wear makeup but they shouldn't cake their face with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not important. I only put on a full-faced makeup if I have some special occasion or party to attend. However, I don't wear any concealer because I don't have a need for it - I'm very fortunate that I have good skin.
    For work, I usually just have on mineral powder, some blush and lip gloss or tinted lip balm... just so I don't look pale or like a zombie.
    If you're comfortable and prefer going bare-faced, then good on you for having that confidence and nobody should tell you otherwise.

1|0
    0|0
  • I agree you don't. But it's people's preferences. I just don't bother. There is nothing wrong with loving makeup, but to the point you feel insecure about yourself: now I start to feel like your being fake.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's just like anything else I buy. I buy it to look good. I mean yes I came into this world naked but without anything we are all sorta plain huh? So I decorate. And I do that with clothes, and jewelry, and hair color, and make-up, and tattoos, and just stuff. I like it.

0|0
    0|0
    • I bought my toaster to look good

• @bc1989 do you at least clean the side of it off before you stare at your reflection and make the do I look good determination? 🤔

• it's art. I dont wear makeup most of the time, but when I do I like to go all out. I'll have three different shades of eyeshadow on and I'd feel so good about it. I know it doesn't look natural - so it doesn't make me feel beautiful, it just makes me feel glam and that makes me happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like my bareface but putting on makeup is kinda like a hobby to me, its really fun to try out different colors on the eyes and lips, cheeks etc. with the bonus that you look even better than before :) It's like painting a colorful picture 😅

0|0
    0|0
  • "you dont need makeup to be beautiful" cute haha ❤ well, I barely put make up on. By makeup I mean concealer, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. I haven't put any eye shadow since literally years, only time I put it is when there's a wedding. Lipstick is probably the most thing I wear. And the reason why is > for concealer : coz I wouldn't like how my skin looks (red acne, etc) then I would hide it. Lipstick > just coz I like it xD eyeliner > same as lipstick but thats more of a Friday/Saturday night out with the family lol

1|0
    0|0
  • You just answered the question, it makes them feel better. It's not your money so quit bitching about it!

0|0
    1|0
  • it's not always about the others, it's about ourselves too. i adore wearing makeup, but I only wear it when I go out, so I can be more creative with it. it's a form of art

0|0
    0|0
  • I do it once a week. Just to give me a bit of a POP.
    My basic go to is mascara, eyeliner and gloss.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Oh wow look at me I am SOOO different than other girls"

0|0
    1|0
  • I'm a total beauty guru and I don't wear make up to "feel beautiful" I wear make up because it's fun, because I'm an artist that needs something in the morning to look forward to. Think of it like this. To me, spending so much money on things like sports gear or video game it not my forte, but when my boyfriend spends 80 bucks on some new released video game I don't judge cuz he plays that game because it's fun for him! Not because all his friends play it or because it make him feel more like a man.
    I love doing my make up! I spend three hours every morning getting ready. And I'm a total morning person lol! I just love waking up and finding the best out fit and looking like me (not because I want some guy!) I'm beautiful with or with out make up! But make up just makes me happy for the rest of the day

0|0
    0|0
    • Stop lying to yourself.

• You see, people tell us to love all forms of our selves and then when we do they tell us to stop lying. You my friend, need a new hobbie. Cuz making girls feel like crap, is a bad past time

• It was a joke. I do not have such hobbies you speak of.

• I wear it partially because I think its simply fun to wear and collect, but the routine of putting it on for me is enjoyable, but I've been wearing makeup since middle school.
    For some, its definitely a way to boost self esteem. I felt better with foundation when my acne was pretty bad back in high school, for example. Now I don't always wear foundation because my skin has calmed down a lot. It was nice to have the option to wear foundation to cover acne. People can be pretty cruel about that stuff.
    No one is better for wearing it or not, in the end. Just depends on personal preference.

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate wearing makeup, but I love what it does to my face.
    That's my only reason. Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Some say its art. Some say its unnecessary. I say do whatever the hell makes you comfy =)

0|0
    0|0
  • they don't think they look good enough without it probably

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont wear makeup - I love the way I am

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not important at all, I never liked makeup.

0|0
    0|0
  • society tells us girls that it's important

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes