Dying my hair for the first time. Dos and Donts?

I want to dye my hair some dark red color, my natural is dark brown.

I read some articles, blogs and such and some of them were mentioning, summer isn't the most suitable period to do it. It's not summer yet, but summer's approaching.

Anyway, those who know better could help me.

21

Most Helpful Girls

• So do you want like a wine red or more of a reddish brown color? Honestly, the articles you read were a bit BS, red hair isn't exclusive to the winter , It can be pulled off great all year round, but red colors are known to bleed a bit after dying your hair , so I'd be cautious going swimming in pools , other then that, I don't see the issue with you going red

• Go to a professional and don't do it yourself! My hair is dark brown and I had it done in dark, dark brown with ombré red. Supposedly it is in right now? :)

• I would go to a professional anyway. Actually I need a change, I've had dark brown all my life. Dunno, but I believe changing my hair color, maybe a change in my life would occur, ha!

• Do it! I go to my hair stylist and rely on her to keep my color in style!

Most Helpful Guy

• Have someone do it for you, since it's your first time. Also, if it's a very different shade, either darker or lighter.. do it over a few times.