How should I dress to impress on a date with a pretty sophisticated woman?

I don't want to look like a dork, because I'm not the most well versed when it comes to fashion. I'm thinking maybe a dress shirt or polo with black jeans, or maybe khaki's, dress shirt, and sports coat, for a fancier date. Girls, what do you find attractive (or the opposite)? I could use some help, because one girl I dated thought I was gay because I wore a paisley dress shirt on our first date. She said," Only gay men wear paisley shirts," and she didn't take anything else into consideration making that judgment. For all I know the next shirt I put on could make her think I'm a poltergeist or something. I'm in good shape and supposedly decent looking.

43

Most Helpful Guy

• Dress in something that a. matches the event, and b. feels comfortable.

by the way. it's not what you wear, but how you wear it.

if a girl says: only gay men wear paisley shirts

my response selection pool: and only librarians wear glasses. but you manage to pull emotions off, and I'm liking it. (shows sarcasm to let her know not to stereotype and simultaneously compliments her)

or: Yeah, I try to dress gay. It's be unfair for other guys if their dates thought I was straight. (either end the joke there and make it clear you were kidding, or if she took the statement as arrogant, add a second joke that then depreciates the arrogance of the statement, such as... "haha. at least, I'd like to tell myself that... you know... pat myself on the back and make me feel better about life."

• ugh. autocorrect. that word "emotions" I meant "you manage to pull em off."