How much makeup is too much?

Hey y'all! Was just wondering what the distinction between having dramatic makeup on and being a 'natural beauty' really is? I often like to think that I don't wear a lot of makeup in my daily life; in fact I only wear mousse foundation (about 1 or 2 layers), eyeliner and lipstick (usually pinkish shades - either light or even bold, depending on my mood or outfit).

Nonetheless, I've had 2 or 3 of my girlfriends coming up to me asking me for makeup tips, assuming that I spend a lot of time perfecting my look with tons of products when in fact, it barely takes me 2 to 3 mins to get ready. In fact, a guy friend of mine once teased me about my "persistent glow", so to speak, thinking I'm one of those girls who cakes on layers and layers of foundation to mask my real self, though I wear very little of it. I do use this La Mer skin cream which does contribute to this radiance though. Really though, all this kinda baffles me because I don't really know much about makeup.

I'm all for makeup, trust me. I consider it an art form and an expressive way of bringing out your inner essence, aside from it helping to enhance your natural features. I prefer to not overdo it and love looking as natural as possible yet with a hint of drama or glamour... get what I mean? But sometimes after hearing these comments, it makes me question whether I look artificial or overly done up although I usually believe I adopt a minimalist approach to it.

Is it too much for me to wear bold lip shades with black eyeliner for school or rotations at hospitals (I'm a 25 y/o medical student)? Or should I stick to more subtler forms of makeup? The following images basically show me as I am in public.

https://imgur.com/FEjwQOC

https://imgur.com/2b9uVre

https://imgur.com/YV0TkzU

And here's me without a scrap of makeup on (ok to be fair, I did use an Insta filter when I uploaded this on Instagram so that the pic would look a tad more artistic but yeah...).

https://imgur.com/

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't even read your detail. And would prefer to respond only after your title. None. Natural beauty is perfect. Just keep your heart pure.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You look absolutely stunning in each photo. You are lucky that you have a darker skin tone; these people are usually luckier with makeup since you can`t always tell that they are wearing it, regardless the amount.

Just do what you feel amazing in, if you have a great personality, no one is going to care how much makeup you use. To answer your question, I do not think you wear a lot of makeup, but you look gorgeous.

I have acne so I wear a lot of foundation, and since I am blondish, you can tell easily that I wear makeup and the amount of it, so people like me need to be "careful"... haha.

1|0
    0|0
    • Everything you've mentioned is on point, girl! I've already thought about this more thoroughly and I agree, I shall just continue what I'm doing right now because I have nothing much to hide behind my makeup anyway. I still more or less look like myself with makeup; just that I feel my features look a tad more enhanced and my skin is slightly smoother with the foundation I'm using. Basically, I feel more confident and put together with makeup and that's the whole point of it, isn't it?

• Absolutely! ☺ Knock yourself out girl!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• when you look like a clown that's too much natural beauty is no make up or small amount to enhance your features

1|0
    0|0
  • Every make up is too much

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• When you apply it like this

https://youtu.be/Qptqk4dAa0o

1|0
    0|0
    • Before people go nuts, I mean the application process at 1:13

• HOMMMGGGG, AHAHAHAHAHA! That was so funny - so on point!! :P :P

• I personally wear a lot of make up. (I also have a skin condition where my face is always very red, so I cover that up on a daily basis.)

I think people are starting to accept bold make up more and more.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you very much! At first, I was kinda worried that because I like to experiment with bold lipstick colors even during hospital rotations while clerking patients, it would seem kinda distracting or loud in a professional environment. Apart from having my peers ask about my makeup as I mentioned earlier, making me wonder if mine is too much. But then again, neither my doctors/ professors and patients have ever called me out to remark on my makeup like they did 2 of my batchmates, so I guess it's okay.

Besides, putting everything aside, I feel comfortable sticking to my usual routine and after pondering over this, I've realised, "Hey, what I show on the outside represents what I feel on the inside about myself right? That's the point of makeup, right? To feel more put together and confident?". So yeah, thank you once again for the confidence boost! Genuinely appreciate it. :)

• Of course! No worries!

• you don't look like you wear too much

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes