What do you think of the modern trend of people getting tattoo's?

tattoo's have always been around , although not common and mainstream until rather recently in our history , especially on women.

so my question is what are your thoughs on this trend and do you have any tattoo's yourself?
  • lovin it and have tattoo's on myself
    Vote A
  • lovin it but don't have tattoo's myself
    Vote B
  • neutral
    Vote C
  • dislike it but have a tattoo myself
    Vote D
  • dislike it and have no tattoo's
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A very expanded sense of the term modern here, in the way it might have been used in the industrial revolution; the 'modern era'... Tattoos have been common for most of the 20th century! I was born when tattoos were very normal, and have no frame of reference. I can't even begin to think about it in these terms; it's a question which is completely unintelligble for me. Also, my grandfather was a sailor, and doesn't have any tattoes himself (that I know of!) but most of his friends do; my uncle, also, has tattoos.

Also, tattoos not being 'mainstream' until 'rather recently in our history' is a very Eurocentric analysis! In most societies, they were normal from the beginning. Europe is simply late to the party...

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't recall tattoo's being that common here until the early 2000's but I'm a bit young to remember if there were many in 1980's or 90's. there were no tattoo's parlours downtown in my town of 16,000 until 5 or so years ago. we had never ever had any tattoo parlours here until very recently , has been a body piercing place that's been open since 2000 or so. but never really any tattoo places until more recently

• Show All
    • hmmm, I guess it depends on where you live. I think they've always been pretty common here, and probably maritime places generally. Rural areas less so?

• there has been tattoo parlours in nearby cities for some time , not really sure when they would of originally opened. but in recent years has been an increase , and a couple new ones have opened up. so now downtown in a city of 100,000 there might be like 5 or 6 tattoo places , when 10 years ago might of been 2 . and they all seem to be very busy , people coming and going etc

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't consider this a modern trend. I mean, selfies are a modern trend, but not tattoos. That said, I do a lot of volunteer work so tattoos have sort of a negative connotation with me. I work with a lot of people who are trying to get their lives in order and they're invariably broke. They also all seem to like to blow what little money they have on tattoos. I don't see financially "normal" people buying tattoos they can't afford so...

0|0
    0|0
    • I see a lot of students getting tattoo's who don't really have a lot of money

• Anything poor people do is invariably rejected as a waste of money. 'Why don't they just eat beans?' comes the response.

"The less you eat, drink and read books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorize, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save-the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor dust will devour-your capital. The less you are, the more you have; the less you express your own life, the greater is your alienated life-the greater is the store of your estranged being.”

• I still think tattoo's are a modern trend at least in North America , its true they have always been around but were more common on men in the past. they've never been this common on women , especially young women although is also older women with tat's here. I don't think tattoo's have ever been as mainstream and accepted as they are now. its not really a surprise to see someone in public with a tattoo anymore , where it might of been years ago

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• Don't care

0|0
    0|1
  • I don't have any but I want one. a single one, with a drawing of all letters combined. it's hard to explain but it looks very geometrical and pretty and smal and describes my love for books and the written words and grammar. Yes, I am a nerd xD
    I am not into people with too many tattoos. In fact, I don't really like tattoos if they're very huge and dark and just too many. But I try my hardest not to judge people, I mean it's their choice and they probably love it! I should be happy that they're so comfortable with it

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• I have only two, and i like tattoos on women. But one of women who used to work in the same company as me had some big ones on her body, small, petite and very attractive, she posted a pic to dat of a couple more she got. It's getting to the point where you wouldn't know whether to ride her or read her!!

0|0
    0|0
    • I find most of the women with tattoo's here only have smaller ones and often in places you'd not even see. a lot have them in so called hidden locations , like on foot , ribs , ankle. you wouldn't really know they had one unless in a bikini

• I have never seen a woman who became more beautiful because of a tattoo or a piercing.

0|1
    1|1
  • Neutral

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes