Girls, Is putting makeup on your child a bad idea?

I am part of a makeup group on facebook. And I do love seeing all the different looks people put out. But one thing that does bug me is when they make over their kids who are as young as two. And it's not even cute little lipstick or blue eyeshadow. These kids are getting foundation, bronzer, their brows done. All because the mom was bored and thought it looked cute.

Halloween, I think is a totally different story. I used to wait for Halloween, just so I could finally wear lipstick. But I didn't wear makeup until 13. Am I just being too uptight about it?
I guess I really want input since I am not a parent. So if any parents want to voice their opinion, they are more than welcome.

Updates:
Thank you ladies for the input. I would of voiced my concerns on the facebook page itself, but they are very block friendly. Anything they deem as "negative" is removed. Also, I am not a parent, so the first thing most mothers would say is I wouldn't know because I don't have kids.

I wanted to agree that another concern I have is that foundation and contouring products are not made for toddler skin. And why they would want to already hide a beautiful, pure complexion is beyond me.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Uhm, if my baby girl wanted to have some make up I'd sometime sallowe her to wear some lipstic for a while when at home and e. g. "playing adults" when she's babysitting her dolls and doing some funny fashion shows. Outside none apart from some coral/light pink/light polish nail. I've seen some 3-5 year old girls wear them (obviousy full of scratches etc) and I thought it looked cute and funny. But not all the time and not at the age of 2. Also, I'd avoid putting anything on her face apart from some vit. A creams during the wintertime until she herself decides she wants some when she's a teen etc. And finally, I'd never post my child's photos on any social media to begin with :P I don't even post mine, so... ;)

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 26

• I think its fine, as long as the child is okay with it. To them its just dress up, but when you start to force the kids to play along I think it will start to make them have self confidence issues.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't think children should be wearing makeup all the time. Halloween, dress-up play, theater, performances, etc... makeup on kids can be totally appropriate in those cases. If mom wants to put makeup on the kid for fun, and the kid is okay with it, then that's fine- but wash it off after. An eight year old should not be showing up at school each day with makeup on. That is inappropriate and does not allow the child to be a child.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think it's dumb. And also wouldn't it be bad for the childs still maturing skin to be subjected to all the chemicals and preservatives and random shit in typical adult makeup? Like isn't their skin too sensitive and undeveloped to handle wearing make up like adults? I don't know it just seems like a bad idea like that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yup, I would not let my child put on makeup. Eyeline is fine, and a bit of lipcolor, sure but only if she is 8 or above for lip color.
    But full face make up... no way

2|0
    0|0
  • If it is not hurting the child and it's for fun I think it's okay. If the kid likes it and is happy is all that matters.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yeah babies should be babies. Not dolls that you smother in makeup and heels and stuff. It's not right.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it on small children. I agree with you. Halloween totally different but putting full face makeup on a toddler is just wrong

1|0
    0|0
  • That sounds like a lot of makeup. But as long as it isn't so often that the childhood is interefered with, I think it's okay.

2|0
    0|0
  • well there are 12 year olds getting laid, worrying about their bodies, the world is changing sadly, personally i think its so wrong. I would let my kid wait, but what can you do lol?

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's a particularly good idea. First, does the kid really like it? Seems like most 2 yr olds wouldn't have the patience to sit that long, and I don't think moms should force them to. Second, makeup isn't formulated for a toddler's skin, so there could be risk of irritation from the products. And last but not least, I have nothing against makeup (in fact I LOVE it for myself), but I don't think a very young child should be getting the message that they need to wear makeup or that there's anything to improve about their looks. Girls get very image-conscious anyway, no need to start pushing it at such a young age.
    So yeah, I wouldn't freak out at a mom for doing that, but I wouldn't do it myself and don't like it.

2|0
    0|0
  • my child hardly let's me get a comb through his hair

I'm more interested in how the hell they get their children to sit still that long

1|0
    0|0
  • playing makeup in the house is one thing but i wouldn't let my child out of the house with make up on.

1|0
    0|0
  • My daughter plays with my makeup all the time and sometimes asks me to do hers for her. She's four and he likes to play dress up. I see nothing wrong with it. It's just dress up anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Moms in the group in Facebook "GLAM" are always doing this! Kind of bugs me sometimes.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think its alright but I would make sure they aren't putting it on every single day

2|0
    0|0
  • I think that's crazy.
    Your child is not a doll.

1|0
    0|0
    • I feel like it's getting to be unhealthy.

• I agree.
      Lmao the girl is gonna look back at her baby pictures and see her face all contoured and highlighted and resent her mom forever hahahah

• I don't think it's a bad idea

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't put makeup on a child

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes!!! That horrible.

1|0
    0|0
  • No not at all

1|0
    0|0