Advice on dresses?

The other day I saw someone wearing a simple tshirt dress the other day and I liked the concept and I guess I found some fashion inspiration from it?

But how do you know if a dress is too short without trying it on in store, or is there a way to tell at all? I have a few "jumper dresses" which is literally all i wear, along with leggings but i couldn't wear it on it's own as it's not long enough. Are they likely to shrink when washed etc. (The girl i saw wearing one the other day, her dress was kinda short, like not overly short, but like it wouldn't blow all over and kinda "hugged" her body, I don't know how to describe it)

I don't really know about all the different styles either, I wouldn't really want a tshirt dress that would blow all over etc, but i wouldn't want one that was completely tight and stuff, kinda like a bodycon? (I wouldn't mind it if the back was tight, around the butt area, but not the front waist/thigh area)

I guess my main concern is the length factor, if it'd blow about easily and if it's "tight" or not, as I am transgender (male to female) and unless I tucked it may not be like, completely flat down there (sorry if that was tmi)

I want to wear dresses, especially as it's getting warmer now. I'm mainly interested in tshirt dresses and other casual ones, nothing fancy, although I don't know a lot. Thank everyone!! x

20