My friends all think my interest is ugly, when I find her very good looking?

This is a very odd phenomenon. Happened to me yesterday. I showed my mates who I'm interested in, and all of them agreed that she is anything but good looking. Came complete with the usual "I don't know which one of you is uglier" comment, naturally.

Anyway, it's only a good thing for me, since I have extraordinarily low standards, to the point where I'll take just about anyone who isn't completely disfigured. This also makes me more afraid of rejection, as it'd mark the end of my remaining slivers of self-esteem.

Do you think my low standards make me think of lesser women more highly and lower my opinion of better looking women? Have any of you ever experienced this?

24

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, that is just the start of the chapter. It would get more challenging if you were dating someone.

I think you're neither settling for less nor your standards are low. You're simply viewing beauty in a different light as you are attracted to what you seem to prefer.

Some people place their doubt and skepticism to someone who is attracted to the uncommon. If that person follows the crowd, he'll start doubting himself, eventually. There will be people who'll think differently compared to you. Hear these people out but it's up to you whether to dwell on criticisms or not.

• I see, yes. Well, no matter how I look at what they say, I cannot personally agree with it. Flaws? Yes, there are some flaws, but we all have those, some more than others, and they are hardly severe enough to destroy my view of this person.

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter. If ever I man up and do it, and somehow miraculously succeed, then what they say will be of little concern to me.

• "If ever I man up and do it..."
      Do what, exactly?

I agree with the rest of what you've said. That's the spirit!

• Man up and profess my affection and interest. It's something extraordinarily difficult for me. I keep this mask of a fairly reclusive, scientifically literate pseudo-intellectual who also happens to be a closeted metalhead, and expressing my feelings for other people is godawfully difficult, especially when it is with romantic intent.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some of the nicest, most sincere women are not blessed with what you call "Good looks", I would call them blessed with character. They don't spend all their time pursuing beauty, as some perceive it.
    Why you would consider that as low standard is beyond me.

• Not me, them.

See, I can't pursue good looks either. I was born with a bad face, such is life. So I lowered my standards in regards to physical beauty.

What I don't get is how someone I perceive as an 8/10 easily is perceived as ugly by all of my peers, even before they know I'm interested in her. It's mind-boggling.