Why don't (many/some?) hairdressers listen?

I've been looking for a new hairdresser after cutting my hair myself for about 5 years. I did a fine job but I just want something more 'professional' plus it takes a lot of effort to do it yourself (at least for my cut). I've been to 5 different salons in the past year and they always do the opposite of what I ask for. I'm very clear in my direction. I know exactly what will and won't work for me but they say "Oh this will look good" and it usually looks like crap. Some of them don't seem to have a clue about face shapes and give my a cut that doesn't suit mine at all. Plus I tell them specifically what NOT to do and they do it anyway (i. e you can't layer my hair above a certain point in the back of my head because it will cowlick like crazy and I can't just brush it down. It needs to be washed or dampened then blow dried and brushed down. Which isn't something I want to deal with every damn morning). I did a much better job when I cut my hair myself. What is up with this? Anyone else have this issue? FYI I am very polite to them and not 'ordering' them around. I just tell them "So this works and this doesn't" and they don't listen to me. They act like because they are the hairdresser they know my hair and how it behaves better than I do.

51

Most Helpful Girl

• Ahhhh! YES!!! I had the same uh-mazing! hairdresser for 15 years before she moved away. It was so traumatic because I knew I'd have to find someone else, and this woman knew my hair down to the root structure and how my hair reacted to different seasons. Ugh, I miss her...

I knew finding someone new would be a whole thing... and it still is. I loathe short hair. I don't have a good head shape to pull it off, and so I am very specific about length being cut off. Like, I literally don't care if "they know" how much should be taken off, it's my hair, and if I say, I only want an inch, I mean that... not, she said an inch, but, I've been cutting hair and I know 1 inch needs to really be 3. It's infuriating.

The first one I tried just did this horrible broomstick cut on me, the second just had no clue, and I left before she even touched my hair, the third chopped a good 6 inches off... she just kept cutting and I wasn't paying attention, and the fourth, I was so pissed at the last, that I told her about the last person and said, I'm going to hold a mirror up the whole time you're cutting and if you're going too far, I'm going to stop you... sorry I don't trust you... don't know you... the last lady ruined it for everyone, so now every hair dresser will suffer under my scrutiny.

Anyway, it became too much for me, and now I just trim my own hair and otherwise let it grow which is fine. I hope someday I can find someone like my last good hair dresser, but the odds are not looking good. I just don't know anyone who is like, oh yeah, they just cut exactly what I asked for and every time and how I like it. I guess it's like love, you get one truly good hairdresser, and the rest, well...