Why do people stare when I show some leg?

I'm really insecure about my body, that's why during summer I mostly wear long dresses and pants to cover up my body. However, today was so hot that I was wearing shorts and a tanktop when doing grocery shopping. Let me be clear: no cleavage was showing and the shorts covered my ass completely.

When I'm covering up my legs people never stare, but as soon as I wear shorts, cars stop to let me cross the road, people hold the door open for me and stare at me as I walk by. Both men and women. As I said before I'm really insecure, and this just makes me more insecure. I'm afraid that they are judging me (too fat, too revealing, too ugly, etc.), while rationally I know it's probably nothing.

The stares might be a compliment or something like that, but it just makes me want to cover up again asap. Any words of advice?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't need to feel insecure,, you have really nice legs!

Probably one reason you feel insecure is because a lot of guys who are attracted to you, are too insecure to approach you.

I was really shy like that in my teens and even at 20.

Then there are ones that already have a partner.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you, I'll keep it in mind ;)

• Cupid is a mad scientist,, a lot of things are rolling around our minds when it comes to meeting someone,, there are also a lot going on in their minds,,, too bad we can't read minds,, body language is all that is left,,

Most Helpful Girl

• I have actually noticed the same thing. Don't worry, it's not a negative thing. I've gotten hit on more when I wear shorts rather than when I wear anything else, even though my shorts are long enough to cover.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks, glad to hear I'm no the only one.

• Show All
    • You're probably quite pretty, you just don't know it. I am more than certain that your body looks fine, otherwise you would either be ignored or other people wouldn't be so gentle towards you (holding the door for you, cars stopping etc). It sucks, but appearance plays a major role when it comes to social interactions.

• Thank you for the sweet comment, I'll try to become a bit more positive ;)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• "cars stop to let me cross the road, people hold the door open for me and stare at me as I walk by." Any girl would get a huge ego boost by now. I'm sure you have nice legs. Many people wouldn't do those things for you if you weren't good looking.

1|0
    0|0
    • I should try to take it positively, but it's really unnerving and makes me really uncomfortable...

• Think of it this way, you're the centre of everyone's attention when you walk by, you're the special girl among the ladies.

• Hahaha, thanks I'll keep that in mind

• practice showing skin more often, it sounds like you have a great body. people are noticing that you're beautiful so try to understand and accept that. don't hide something beautiful.

1|0
    0|0
  • You got an inferiority complex. Your looking at the situation through the wrong end of the telescope. Always assume the best not the worst. If you don't draw stares when you covered there can't be fuck all wrong with you. You show a bit of leg and men are thinking, nice, wonder what's at the top. of those pins. Women are too probably or just looking and thinking I wish I had legs like that. Your not invisible, when your out and about your in the public gallery for public scrutiny just like everybody else. Learn to enjoy it. It's not some conspiracy, these are just separate individuals who's attention has been caught for some reason. They probably find you attractive, in fact I'm sure of it. If somebody is butt ugly or weird looking in this pc world folk tend to look anywhere else lest they offend

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm going to guess nothing changes but your picking up normal things and putting your insecurities to over drive. Basicly I'm saying nothings different.

0|0
    0|0
  • Let me ask you a question were u a late bloomer, large and lost weight, or were just always a shy person and busy?

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 2

• Stare but not offending is cool, but staring and offending both screw our mind. Even the thought of wearing short clothes, gave us a clear vision how much eve teasing, attention & "staring" we will get. So, until & unless you guys talk to us with a proper eye contact rather sticking your eyes on our legs we are comfortable.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's probably a good thing.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes