Why do people stare when I show some leg?

I'm really insecure about my body, that's why during summer I mostly wear long dresses and pants to cover up my body. However, today was so hot that I was wearing shorts and a tanktop when doing grocery shopping. Let me be clear: no cleavage was showing and the shorts covered my ass completely.

When I'm covering up my legs people never stare, but as soon as I wear shorts, cars stop to let me cross the road, people hold the door open for me and stare at me as I walk by. Both men and women. As I said before I'm really insecure, and this just makes me more insecure. I'm afraid that they are judging me (too fat, too revealing, too ugly, etc.), while rationally I know it's probably nothing.

The stares might be a compliment or something like that, but it just makes me want to cover up again asap. Any words of advice?

316

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't need to feel insecure,, you have really nice legs!

Probably one reason you feel insecure is because a lot of guys who are attracted to you, are too insecure to approach you.

I was really shy like that in my teens and even at 20.

Then there are ones that already have a partner.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you, I'll keep it in mind ;)

• Cupid is a mad scientist,, a lot of things are rolling around our minds when it comes to meeting someone,, there are also a lot going on in their minds,,, too bad we can't read minds,, body language is all that is left,,

Most Helpful Girl

• I have actually noticed the same thing. Don't worry, it's not a negative thing. I've gotten hit on more when I wear shorts rather than when I wear anything else, even though my shorts are long enough to cover.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks, glad to hear I'm no the only one.

• You're probably quite pretty, you just don't know it. I am more than certain that your body looks fine, otherwise you would either be ignored or other people wouldn't be so gentle towards you (holding the door for you, cars stopping etc). It sucks, but appearance plays a major role when it comes to social interactions.

• Thank you for the sweet comment, I'll try to become a bit more positive ;)