Can I lighten and tone my chocolate brown dyed hair at home?

Three months ago i got this dark brown balayage ombre. My hair is originally black. Its a little lighter now but its becoming brassy slowly. This is what i wanted to do:
- Buy a color stripping shampoo or a shampoo that slowly fades the hair dye and use it to lighten my hair
-When my hair is lighter i will use a purple shampoo to tone it

Will it work? What shampoos will be great for fading my choc brown color? Like something from the grocery store? I live in aistralia by the way.

Since my hair was bleached before it was dyed, i was hoping color stripping it with a shampoo then toning it will give like an ash blonde sort of thing.

20