Girls have you tried coconut oil in your hair to promote hair growth and health? How did it help or no help?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I use it during spring and summer since it's lighter than the Jamaican castor oil I usually use in my hair. It worked fine for me, and it kept my hair soft and moisturized, which is a plus because I have a thick curly afro lol

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Nice! I've heard good things about the castor oil :) I should try it

• Show All
    • No problem hun

• Thanks for the MHO 😊

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Tried it and it was a massive fail.
    Honestly, the best thing I've found for growth is just taking care of your hair. Don't wash it everyday, don't let it get too knotty that you tear out so much trying to brush it. Don't use heat products or dye it. Do a conditioning mask every fortnight/month.

1|0
    1|0
    • I cannot not wash my hair, I'll look like a homeless that was wrestling a greased pig πŸ˜“

• Show All
    • I wash every 2-3 days now so it's not a huge period of time. When I started to cut back on washing for about a month I washed every five days (in winter and no gym) and used dry shampoo (I just use a bit of cornflour) and teased it up into a messy pony tail or bun until I washed it next.
      https://i.imgur.com/TqYyjWO.jpg
      Now my hair isn't oily as quickly so I don't need to wash it as often. Everyone has different needs for their hair, this has just been what's worked for me and there is a lot of studies done backing up more washing = higher sebum production

• Oh yeah your hair looks super nice :)

• Nothing you put ON your hair will promote growth. But coconut oil can help keep the hair in good condition and feeling soft.

It makes my hair feel greasy though. But it washes out so it's not like it's a risky experiment. It is also great for your skin.

I did a coconut oil infused hot oil treatment the other day though, and I am really loving the results.

1|0
    0|0
    • I did the coconut today and omg it left my hair super dry lol I'm gonna try the oil cos I have too many split ends

• Coconut oil is one of the best things to use on any part of you. I use it for my face which has made it super clear and smooth. I also use it for my hair. For hair growth, I used biotin 10,000 mcg and one a day vitamin. Also, dont shower my hair everyday. I trim it once every 2 months on my own because I dont trust people touching it. Thats about it.

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm with you on that, I don't trust anyone with my hair lol :) I probably should start taking some other supplement

• I use it on my hair (I have 3b hair type) but only like once a month (I use Lucy Bee's extra virgin coconut oil and I use a bit as a moisturiser every few days). It softens my hair (and skin) and doesn't dry it out but generally I find that the best results are from when the coconut oil is consumed. I fry some of my breakfast foods (eggs, gram flour pancakes etc) in extra virgin coconut oil (it gets absorbed into the foods) and I've noticed that I get better results hair and skin wise.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I've read a lot of people have like a teaspoon of coconut oil by mouth every day! Interesting :)

• I use it. It is good for your hair. Massage your scalp while tipping your head upside down to get bloodflow to the scalp when you use it. Take hair vitamins and drink plenty of water too.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you :) what type of vitamins or prenatal ones? Thanks for the follow, will follow you back

• Those and Viviscal. My hair is not thinning. It's naturally thick but it's a premtive move because I'm middle aged and that's when hair starts to thin. I have a lion mane like a teenage girl's. I just need it long now and I can achieve world domination, or look gorgeous at least.

• P. S. Viviscal is expensive. So only invest in it if you are as obsessed with your hair as I am, or it's thinning. You are young for that though.

• coconut oil has many uses and is amazing to add into your beauty routine, i find its best in the ends, dont put it on the scalp.

2|0
    0|0

• yes, about a year. I love it. I use it to remove makeup, shave, moisturize skin, soften hair, and even for oil pulling which is when you swish it around your mouth like mouthwash and it gets rid of bacteria, It has natural antibacterial properties.

• Nice I didn't know about the mouth rinsing

• I don't believe when they push certain products. Just eat real food.
    I don't do anything to my hair. Grows well, fast.

1|0
    0|0
    • What's your regime dear I'm open to all experiences lol I'm trying to grow out my hair after stress loss

• born with it.
      eat real/non process foods.

stress - sorry to hear.
      now that you have cope with stress... continue to eat well, sleep well, excerise have a positive outlook in life. all that will come together. I dont have other secrets.

• Thanks :) I will keep searching for something to help me I've always struggled with very thin hair lol and the stress doesn't help

• I used it on my scalp for the egg treatment and it worked. I didn't grow an inch overnight as promised but in a months time it grew more than usual! TRY IT :D

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks :) so did you combined the two or used at desperate times? I'm still new to this lol

• It's like a 2 step process. Egg treatment focus on scalp (egg+honey +oil) rinse, then oil hair with coconut and leave overnight.
      Look it up caz I forgot the exact recipe πŸ˜…

• it does in some ways, but i would mix it in with other essential oils like tea tree and olive oil, as coconut oil has the tendancy to dry the hair out on its own.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I was thinking of adding some tea tree :) what do you also think of rosemary?

• It made my hair more shiny but I didn't notice any big changes. I didn't feel like it grew faster and thicker or anything.

1|0
    0|0
    • How long did you use it for?

• I used it about 3-4 times a week for about a month. Just a teeny tiny amount each time though

• Cool :) that's what I am going to aim for 3 times a week

• I've tried it along with the inversion method for a week and it didn't do anything but make my hair harder to wash.

1|0
    0|0
  • No I've never tried, but also thinking about it. Anybody who wants to give me some advice for hair growth and to stop frizziness, let me know ❀️

1|0
    0|0
    • I used it today, soaked my hair for almost 3 hours and my hair was so dry after I removed it. I'm going to try again but I hope it works πŸ˜“

• Haha let me know how it works out :) fingers crosses <3

• I know lots of people who use coconut as a daily hair conditioner

1|0
    0|0
  • I tried it but my hair felt dry so i never use it pure. It helps my skin though

1|0
    0|0
    • I just rinsed it after 2 hours and my hair was super dry!! I'm glad I was not the only one who experienced this

• Show All
    • Yeah mine was the same way! I think I'm going to stick with using deep mask for moisturizing I just want hair growth 😒

• You can add a little coconut oil but don't drench your hair in it. I never use it pure anymore.

• let me tell you, it actually dehydrates my type of hair. Shea butter is the most fabulous product on this Earth, but it has to be authentic. What's your experience been like?

0|0
    0|0
    • I used coconut oil today and it dried my hair so bad lol unfortunately I can't use shea butter I'm allergic 😒

• Show All
    • Yeah I was looking at that one too but right now don't know where to buy it lol

• Amazon or Sallys beauty supply

• I do hot oil treatments (heated hair bonnet) in my hair twice a week, every week. I also use pomegranate oil and monoi (ancient infused coconut oil) with my treatments. I use camellia oil (dry oil) when my hair is damp in a liquid form. I use a dry hair oil (combination of oils) when my hair is dry

This is part of my haircare routine/schedule

I used to bleach my hair and dye it candy pink and sometimes turquoise. My hair is almost waist length and the bottom half was severely damaged from those years of hair abuse and now it's SO strong, silky smooth, and shiny. So, it really works

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't put any oils on me. I am already acne prone as it is.

0|0
    1|0
  • I use it for skin care!

2|0
    0|0
    • How do you recommend it for usage lol I'm still new to coconut oil :)

• I just rub it in my hands until warm and settled then rub in circular motions on my face. I keep it on overnight and rinse off in the morning. My skin used to be really dry but now this method helps keep it shiny and moisturized!

• Nice! I'll have to try :)

• It's just a big myth. It does not work

1|0
    0|0
  • It did for my eyelashes!

0|0
    0|0
  • It didn't help at all it just stinks

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm trying it right now so I'm hoping it works lol don't know anyone who has actually tried it except seeing people on YouTube

• Show All
    • I finally rinsed and my hair was super super dry 😱😱

• 😢😢

Recommended myTakes