Tipping etiquette for services: How much to tip?

Question in title: What's the appropriate percentage to tip for services, such as the hairdresser, nail salon, etc? Are we supposed to stick to the usual 18-20% (like at restaurants)?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• If its a cheap restaurant like Denny's or Steak and Shake I go 30-35%. If its expensive like Ruth's Chris I go 15%. For a hairdresser at a Fantastic Sams I used to tip $5. For someone who owned their own shop I wouldn't tip. They set their own price. I'm certain a tip was worked in there. Bartenders get $1 a drink.

Most Helpful Girl

• I generally do 20% across the board, good rule of thumb I think.

• Yea, I try to stick to, at least, 20%... which is what I usually tip at restaurants but I've never been sure if the same applies for service places too.

• I'm not 100% sure what's correct but it seems like a good way to go😂

• Lol... I hear ya ;)