How to not be self conscious about my natural hair?

I'm a black woman with natural hair now (always been natural but used to straighten all the time) Im confident when my hair is straighten or blown out because its long and thick but when I wear it REALLY natural where you can see my kinks and shrinkage (My hair type of 4c) I feel so embarrassed and paranoid walking outside. I feel like I look crazy lol Sadly Im still not confident in my natural hair yet and still learning to find it beautiful. Because even when its combed and brushed it make still look like its not because its afro textured. To be honest most of the time I just want to keep it blown out (semi-straight) but I know too much heat is bad for my hair. How do I feel confident in my natural hair?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• We always want what we don't have. I have curly/wavy hair and when I was younger, I wanted to have straight hair. So I'm a little similar to you. But what helped was realizing that we want what we don't have. Finding a hairstyle that fits my facial shape and that I like. Then just being confident. A lot of confidence for me is just saying fuck it. Faking it until you make it. eventually you do become naturally confident. Just need to practice it

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I went natural when every natural on YouTube did styles that made their hair pattern look more wavy than kinky with twist outs braid outs and Bantu knots or they already had a loose curl pattern. I thought that was the only "natural" they was accepted. So I did twist outs and Bantu knots and did everything to keep my curls looking smooth and tame. But I got tired and I stopped caring how defined my kicks were and loving how full my hair was becoming because I stopped manipulating it so much. You're not going to immediately love something you're not used to, but take time to learn what natural styles look the best and work the best for you.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE