Thinking about cutting my hair, but the guy I like doesn't want me to. What should I do?

I'm thinking about cutting a few inches off of my hair, which would bring it from a little above mid-back to a few inches below my shoulders. It naturally has some curl to it so it appears to be at about the bottom of my shoulder blades right now and would lay on my shoulders once I cut it. It seriously needs it and the ends are very dry and somewhat frizzy looking. My hair grows pretty fast so it would probably grow back to the length it is now within a few months, and a few inches isn't a huge change for me. However, I was telling the guy I like about how I was planning to cut a few inches off and he didn't insist I didn't or anything, but he said "Nooooo, just cut one inch". He didn't act like he forbade me from doing it or anything, just that he would rather I not. I want him to be attracted to me and I don't want to disappoint him, but at the same time I'm long overdue for a haircut and it needs at least three inches cut off, probably. It's getting hard to manage with the ends being so bad, and I'd like for it to look and feel better. I know he wouldn't be mad at me or anything over it, but I don't want to make him less attracted to me either. At the same time, I don't feel like it's a drastic change and it would be back to how it was relatively quickly. What should I do?

38

Most Helpful Guy

• If you were lopping it all off, my answer would've been different. However, since you're only cutting off a few inches (and for a good reason), I think you should do it. First of all, your hair will still be shoulder length, so it's not going to have much of an impact on any guy's attraction to you (including your crush). Second, it'll grow back quickly anyway, like you said.

Most Helpful Girl

• Guys have no idea what a few inches even looks like. It won't change his view of you in the slightest. Why is he the guy you like and not your boyfriend? The reason I ask is, boyfriends (in my world) get to have an opinion about my appearance but others don't.

• Right now we are just very good friends, but it's pretty obvious that we both like each other and I think it's leading to more.

• Well, I would t worry about a few inches at all.