Ladies, do you find MAC's new personality palettes offensive?

MAC recently launched 6 palettes based on personalities. A few of these personality names have offended quite a few women. Some of the palette names include "Prissy Princess" and "Basic Bitch."

Here is one comment from a customer who posted on their Facebook page.
"These names are sexist y'all. "Fanatic", "Bitch", "Power Hungry". If these were marketed to men they would be called:
Real Man (Prissy Princess)
GQ (Fashion Fanatic)
Maverick (Rockin' Rebel)
Ambitious (Power Hungry)
Classic (Basic Bitch)
Player (Mischief Minx)

Can you see how the male terms are positive, but the female terms are sexist and negative. This is a marketing fail."

MAC as a brand claims to care about empowering women but some customers feel this launch has done the opposite. What is your opinion? Are the names offensive or just a catchy phrase meant to be fun?
Ladies, do you find MAC's new personality palettes offensive?
  • It's offensive, this was a fail
    Vote A
  • It's not offensive, some people are just too sensitive
    Vote B
  • Other/See results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to say that the argument posted on Facebook is invalid. She quite literally pulled all of what she had to say out of her ass. How on earth could she know exactly what all of the colors would be called if released for men? Who is she to claim that all of them would've been positive remarks rather than negative, just because they were targeted to men? There is absolutely zero basis for her wild claims.

If you find it offensive, fine. I'm not arguing with you. Just save yourself the embarrassment and don't associate with what that particular Facebook user had to say.

2|0
    1|0
    • I'm merely asking for opinions. I don't know why so many people think asking a question automatically means *I* feel a certain way about it. Lol

• Show All
    • Understandable. There were actually many comments like that from other women too. That's why I asked this, to see if a majority of women feel this way or just a vocal minority. So far it seems to be a vocal minority. Thanks for your opinion!

• No problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not sexist, first of all. Hearing that thrown over so often by women gets me annoyed.

However, the words used to name/label the products are immature/inappropriate.

I don't know who they try to gear those towards; I can't imagine a grown up be attracted by such names.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• You know you have a snowflake when you are offended by something as stupid as makeup.

Remember this very simple statement. Offense can never be given only taken. If you are offended by something its your own fault. Taking offense is a choice.

6|1
    2|0
  • I pick others, is offensive sure but people are to sensitive and both female and male comparison are very sexist, why even include it at all, just stick with Crayola naming system like summer breeze set, or cool October, Winter chill and such. =:3

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't see how it's offensive. I don't know if it's because I'm a guy or what. But I 100% do not see what's so offensive.
    That reminds me when people were getting mad that some store had children's shirts that said "chick magnet"

1|0
    1|0
  • They're a catchy phrase intended to be humorous. Fuck feminism.

4|0
    4|0
  • I like how she made up names for the men's ones then said that the men's ones were sexist.

3|0
    1|0
  • This made my day. If you're an offended female about this you should stop resembling their monikers.

0|0
    3|0
  • Its not sexist because there are no male lines so comparing it to something that doesn't exist is pretty stupid.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 18

• Not really. I mean they could also be called
    Meathead
    Fairy
    Loser
    Pig
    Basic Bro
    Fuckboy

I mean you can pick any adjectives you want. I don't care for the tendency for society to stigmatize things women like (basic bitch), but this is silly. Plenty of more important things to worry about.

1|0
    1|0
  • They market what they want people to feel. They don't want women to value themselves therefore they put words on the packaging to remind them where their "place" is. I won't buy any and I will post on my facebook about how I dislike it

0|0
    0|0
  • People are actually offended by this? 😒 What is this snowflake generation?

0|0
    1|0
    • Yep, the people I saw who were upset were claiming it was sending a negative message to young girls.

• If they think it sends a negative message then they're being a bit short sighted. The words used on these are generally words that young girls already use in school all the time to call each other. At least that's what me and my girl friends did, looking back on my old Facebook pictures "bitch/ minx/ vixen/ sex bomb" was shit we used to comment to each other when we were cringy 12-15 year olds 😂

All I can say is, the names are more cringy than offensive.

• The ad campaign sounds kind of dumb, but I'm not going to care about something meaningless like that. Nobody is being harmed by this.

5|0
    1|0
  • i dont think they can just decide what the company would call them for men, they seem like they want to blame men for it, rather than the company, and its not every guys fault, however i do think the company went a little too far, as they are kind of rude and personally i wouldn't want to buy something thats telling me im basic or power hungry

0|0
    0|0
  • it's just some marketing thing. Women have been calling each other 'bitches ' or refer to themselves as one since the 2000's. I don't think it's anything to be upset over because you can buy a different makeup palette or cover the words

0|0
    2|0
  • There are plenty other More offensive thing. The stupid thing is how Mac doesn't realise that a basic bitch would never admit she's a basic bitch and actually buy that Shit. That's where the fail is.

2|0
    1|0
  • I do find it sexist and ignorant as their makeuo is used by makeup artists regardless of gender or personality, i find it somewhat offensive

2|0
    0|1
  • That's funny. Politically incorrect palettes. Those offended ladies should greb their puppies (or pussies) and go cry in safe spaces

0|0
    2|0
  • I'm not offended im the slightest. God, people to need to stop taking everything to heart and calm down.

1|0
    1|0
  • I don't care. MAC is expensive anyway. If you're not a usual MAC buyer, you're not going to buy it.

1|0
    1|0
  • I like it 😂 I see it as funny not as offensive.
    And I know I'm a basic bitch 😂

0|0
    2|0
  • Stop with this crybaby fake feminism

1|1
    1|0
    • What is "fake feminism"?

• Show All
    • @bubblybex This was literally just one comment pulled from dozens... it's just an example and even in this example, no, that's still not "blaming men." Sorry, you're really reaching there.

• oh well i meant that particular comment seems directed angrily at men rather than the company, i haven't read any others so i wouldn't know about them but the one you wrote up seemed like it

• think its funny

1|0
    1|0
  • Nah, woman up about that.

0|0
    1|0
  • It depends on your personality

1|0
    2|0
  • i think it's more childish than anything like maybe they are trying to target teens. their quality has also went downhill as well. it's much more worth it to invest in more expensive and professional brands like chantecaille. bobbi brown is in the same price range as mac and 1000x better. i don't like cheap Chinese ingredients in my makeup

1|0
    0|0
  • lol I don't take it personally

1|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes