How do I stop biting my nails?

I have like a serious problem. I started biting them when I was four. My parents used to give me a quarter when I didn't bite them all week, and I only ever got one quarter. I haven't cut my nails in my entire life, because they're never long enough. I bite them down to the point that it actually hurts my fingers. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me stop?

42

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to bite my nails all the time too! It got so bad because I'd bite my nails really short and they'd sometimes end up bleeding. I finally stopped when I started painting my nails. Whenever I'd subconsciously start nibbling on my nails, I'd get nail polish pieces in my mouth AND I'd ruin my nails. Gradually, my habit stopped. If this doesn't work, you could try dipping/coating your nails in spicy or sour liquid, like hot sauce or lemon juice. The recoil of the bad taste might help. Good luck!