Will my face change after wearing braces?

Hey everyone, I will soon get braces and I was wondering if after I take them off my face structure will change a little bit, like the mouth-chin-jawline area. For any of you who wore braces, did you notice any change in your face structure?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the severity of your condition. My face structure changed quite dramatically because of braces - for the worse, unfortunately. Right now, I'm going through a second round of braces (this time including a jaw surgery) to undo the damage that's been done.
    This is definitely something you should ask your orthodontist about in advance.

0|0
    0|0
    • I have an overbite, but what was your problem?

• I'm missing both upper lateral incisors. They tried to close the gaps by pushing the remaining teeth together and back. The gaps are rather small now, but it messed up my profile: the lower part of my face is recessed, so my nose and chin look like they protrude a lot as a result.
      Pushing the teeth back may have also stunted the growth of my jaws, mainly lower jaw. I decided to have my teeth pushed back to their original position and to have the missing teeth replaced by implants once they reopen the gaps. This will create a pretty large overbite; to compensate for it, they will push my entire lower jaw forward in a surgery.
      But if you have just a mild overbite, it can be fixed by braces perfectly well. Just don't let them pull out any healthy teeth. That would mess up your face just like mine.

Most Helpful Girl

• After wearing braces for a year (I only had them on for that long), the only thing that changed were my lips. They got a lot fuller and were shaped better

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• It depends on how severe crooked the teeth are. If you've a severe version you may notice significant changes compared to if you've a milder variant. This person had a severe version making the change more visible.
    www.tysonswestortho.com/.../ba-04b.jpg

0|0
    0|0
  • My cheeks looked a bit puffier when I had them on but I also had herbst. It definitely isn't permanent though, so when you get them taken off there won't be any permanent damage.

0|1
    0|0
  • you will have another Smile

0|1
    0|0
  • there is meat between your teeth and skull

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• My teeth got straighter, but the structure of my face didn't change. My lips were always full.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't notice any change in that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No nothing happens to your face

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes