Why is self love bad?

Why is self loathing accepted, but self love considered bad?
For example if you tell someone you love yourself, and you're loving the way you look like. Big chance you'll get this kind of respond: "Oh wow you're so full of yourself." Get what I mean?
While if you think you're ugly, they'll either act like they didn't hear you or compliment you.
Why is it bad to think you look aesthetically pleasing?

At the same time they tell you to love yourself more! How ironic..

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• A person should love themselves to a degree. You love yourself enough to keep clean, eat food, maintain your life, work to pay the bills etc. You should love who your are and maybe even how you look. But to verbally compliment yourself which is what you are doing when you say something like "I look awesome," is narcissistic and will provoke a response like the one above.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Self love is good but there's a difference between loving yourself so much that you dont need approval from others and is happy with who you are and loving yourself so much that you feel the need to tell someone how much you love yourself or how good you are etc. The latter comes off as arrogant and attention seeking.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• Self love is critically important, if you love who you are you want to be the best version of YOU rather then someone else. This can bring a huge insecurity in others who didn't find themselves and are upset that you love yourself as a person. It shouldn't turn into bragging though, but its totally great if you love who you are. I do to ^^

0|0
    0|0
  • We become disagreeable when someone says something bold that we're not sure we agree with. It polarizes us i. e. 'I'm fat', 'no you're not'. OR 'I'm so skinny', *starts to notice your love handles*.. the listener tends to be somewhere in the middle, and therefore is always in disagreement to either extreme but it has nothing to do with whether what you're saying is good, bad, right or wrong. That's for you to decide

0|0
    0|0
  • Self Love Is Good

it's The Other compound Words That Goes With Self, You Have To Be Concerned about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Self is good and bad it is a necessary but that does not mean you start acting cocky

0|0
    0|0
  • Self love is more important.

1|0
    0|0
  • who the hell said its bad

0|0
    0|0
  • Says who? You're crap if you don't love yourself

1|0
    0|0
  • It isn't

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• you should love yourself! it's important and not bad at all

0|0
    0|0
  • self love is good, you shouldn't hate yourself... however self love is different than just announcing to everyone that you're awesome. You shouldn't feel the need to tell anyone you love youself.. you should just love yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's not bad at all, as long as you don't degrade others. social norms are so contradicting. they tell people to not hate themselves, yet when they love themselves, it's a bad thing. all in all - love yourselves!

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause if you say that you're ugly, they get an ego boost by telling you that you're not ugly, and that boost makes them feel like they are a good person.
    If you already think you're awesome, they hate that you might be better off than them and say you are conceited to try and knock you down to their level (they don't do it purposely (hopefully) it's just how the brain is).

0|0
    0|0
  • Because people seem to be weirdly uncomfortable with it for whatever reason. Or they mistake it for arrogance. Which is both dumb in my opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • I broadcast my self love with my attitude and demeanor. You don't have 2 explain yourself to anyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • People if threatend

0|0
    0|0
  • People that don't have self love, don't feel good in the own skin could never understand when someone feels the opposite. Almost as if you accepting yourself would contribute for their own unhappiness

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes