Why is self love bad?

Why is self loathing accepted, but self love considered bad?
For example if you tell someone you love yourself, and you're loving the way you look like. Big chance you'll get this kind of respond: "Oh wow you're so full of yourself." Get what I mean?
While if you think you're ugly, they'll either act like they didn't hear you or compliment you.
Why is it bad to think you look aesthetically pleasing?

At the same time they tell you to love yourself more! How ironic..

99

Most Helpful Guy

• A person should love themselves to a degree. You love yourself enough to keep clean, eat food, maintain your life, work to pay the bills etc. You should love who your are and maybe even how you look. But to verbally compliment yourself which is what you are doing when you say something like "I look awesome," is narcissistic and will provoke a response like the one above.

Most Helpful Girl

• Self love is good but there's a difference between loving yourself so much that you dont need approval from others and is happy with who you are and loving yourself so much that you feel the need to tell someone how much you love yourself or how good you are etc. The latter comes off as arrogant and attention seeking.