Does showing a lot of skin really mean that you're "looking for attention"?

When I was in high school, I lived in a pretty strict household when it came to clothing. I was (and still am) also really into fashion and would collect issues of Harper's Bazaar and Vogue, and would follow NYFW online religiously every Fall and Spring.

However, I recall leaving for school in shapeless sweaters and sweatpants a lot, and when it got warm, I never wore shorts (I'll be getting my first pair at 19! And I'll only be wearing them in college). Whenever I wanted to try a new look, I'd get backlash from family--a good example was one time when I wore a black and white shorts and top set with gold sandals and oversized sunglasses--it was a look that I saw in a D&G ad that I could easily copy with my own clothes. But I instantly had to change because I have long legs and the shorts "were a problem". I was even hounded with lectures about how boys will just see me as "a piece of ass" and asked if "I'm looking for attention", along with other things. I already had a low self-esteem (fashion was my escape because you don't have to be pretty to wear cool stuff), and I was questioning if I was subliminally looking for attention.

My my self esteem is soooo much better now and in college I wear what I want (and get compliments/asked for fashion advice!), but as I was picking out an outfit this morning to beat the hot weather, the memory came back. What do you think?

85

Most Helpful Guy

• i think generally no people like to look good and the side affect is us guys staring. then the parents look into it a bit too much and know what is going through a young lads head as they were there once (one track mind i like her and i want to be with her), so the parents worry as all they want what is the best for you. its the old thing of parents trying to teach you what they learned, but being human we need to learn for ourselves.