Does showing a lot of skin really mean that you're "looking for attention"?

When I was in high school, I lived in a pretty strict household when it came to clothing. I was (and still am) also really into fashion and would collect issues of Harper's Bazaar and Vogue, and would follow NYFW online religiously every Fall and Spring.

However, I recall leaving for school in shapeless sweaters and sweatpants a lot, and when it got warm, I never wore shorts (I'll be getting my first pair at 19! And I'll only be wearing them in college). Whenever I wanted to try a new look, I'd get backlash from family--a good example was one time when I wore a black and white shorts and top set with gold sandals and oversized sunglasses--it was a look that I saw in a D&G ad that I could easily copy with my own clothes. But I instantly had to change because I have long legs and the shorts "were a problem". I was even hounded with lectures about how boys will just see me as "a piece of ass" and asked if "I'm looking for attention", along with other things. I already had a low self-esteem (fashion was my escape because you don't have to be pretty to wear cool stuff), and I was questioning if I was subliminally looking for attention.

My my self esteem is soooo much better now and in college I wear what I want (and get compliments/asked for fashion advice!), but as I was picking out an outfit this morning to beat the hot weather, the memory came back. What do you think?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• i think generally no people like to look good and the side affect is us guys staring. then the parents look into it a bit too much and know what is going through a young lads head as they were there once (one track mind i like her and i want to be with her), so the parents worry as all they want what is the best for you. its the old thing of parents trying to teach you what they learned, but being human we need to learn for ourselves.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Wear whatever the fuck you want. If you want attention you want attention. If you wanna wear some revealing clothes. You just want what you want, and even if they do cross over for people it doesn't Fucking matter. Just do what makes you happy, if it hurts other people you should probably stop. But it's no one else's God Damn business what you wear.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you're getting it, and the fact that you're getting it gives others a signal that you may not only tolerate it but even enjoy it actively. Whether that's good or bad the end result is still the same - you're getting that kind of attention and letting it happen. Again, this has nothing to do with whether it's good or bad, just how it looks to other people

0|0
    0|0
  • Wear what you like, you are a big girl now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Regardless, it is what happens

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• I'm Muslim, and we are supposed to show as little skin as possible. However, in my PERSONAL opinion, I think it is acceptable in some situations like at the beach or pool. But if women are walking around town wearing shorts that barely cover their bum, yes I think they are just seeking attention and reaction from men. I live in India and no self respecting Indian woman would ever dress this way in public.

1|1
    0|0
  • Firstly that wouldn't be classified as "showing a lot of skin" it's showing a normal amount of skin. Girl!!! You're not a mummy , you shouldn't be wrapped up in cloth all your life. Wear shorts , wear crop tops , wear tank tops> your only going to be young for so long. Soon everything is going to sag and get wrinkly , so show skin while you still can. But keep it civilized. Always ask yourself the question 'Would I allow my daughter to leave the house wearing this?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it depends and the beach of course they're gonna show a lot of skin but if they're walking around in public with shorts that don't cover their butts and a bra then yeah that could be classified as asking for attention (that still doesn't mean that men have the right to sexually assault them) but if they're wearing tank tops or shorts or both that doesn't mean that they're asking for attention. That just means that it's really warm and that you don't wanna boil in the heat (schools still haven't understood that females can feel heat)

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that is totally not true. It's about looking good for yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've always worn what I want. Sometimes I show a lot of skin. I'm not looking for attention.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do not make that assumption anymore. I used to make it when I was a teenager, but now I know better.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes