How painful is getting a tattoo?

I really want to get one and have been thinking about it for over 2 years now but I'm very sensitive to pain. I can barely get a shot from a doctor without flinching (I've even cried before when I was younger LOL) so I don't know if I'll be able to withstand the pain. My parents would also kill me if they saw it so i have to get it in a hidden place and so far the ribcage is the only area I can think of where they won't see it, but that supposedly is even more painful...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I've seen a dude whose shoulder was raw and tender for a week, putting ointment on it.

But it is even worse trying to remove the tattoo as some people in their 40's regret getting a tattoo they put on in their 20's.

So if you get a tattoo,, make sure it is one you'd want to keep in your 80's,,, if you can visualize your grandma wearing the same tattoo in her 70's and 80's,, then you probably will like it, if not, don't get it.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't do it. Look at all these women covered in tattoos and then picture yourself walking around that way. There's a reason you're ashamed to do it in front of your parents

0|0
    0|0
    • i'm definitely not ashamed. I just would never want them to find out as I know it would hurt them since they are very religious and old fashioned. I myself see nothing wrong with a tattoo

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• It depends very much where you get it. I got my first on the right shoulder and it hurt like hell. I said "Mate, are sure you doing it right? You're slaughtering me."
    He said "This is normal". "Damn. Alright let's get it over with"
    My second was on my left sleeve. It hurt again but less than the first one and it is much smaller than the first one.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's fun ! It feels like tingling sensations, like continuous small pricks. Getting the tattoo is easy, its the after care thats important

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard that it stings at first, but after a couple minutes your body numbs the pain. Areas with less fatty tissue will be more painful.

0|0
    0|0
  • like most has said, depends on pain tolerance. seeing that yours is low it'll hurt a lot on the ribs.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's like a sharp scratching feeling. BUt the closer to a boney area like your wrist or ribs, the more it'll hurt.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just depends on where you get the tattoo or tattoos

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you're placing it, but in my opinion it wasn't painful at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to tell them, plus depends on place and size

0|0
    0|0
  • That all depends on where you get it

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends where you get and your pain tolerance

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have a tattoo

0|0
    0|0
  • I could help hit me privet message

0|0
    3|0

What Girls Said 10

• i HATE needles, getting shots all that and i got my first tattoo on the back on my neck and it didn't hurt at all! i think youd be surprised how much of a different feeling it is! start by getting something really small to see if you can handle it!

0|0
    0|0
  • It really isn't as painful as you think, its not the same as getting a shot, or a bee sting etc. Its more like an annoying irritation. Some areas can hurt because well its a needle going very fast in your skin, kind of feels like a burning sensation.

0|0
    0|0
  • how old are you? I would highly recommend getting a tattoo done by somebody with a light hand and also great experience, if you get one on the street per-say you have these risks to worry about
    dirty needles and infection
    scaring of the tissue if the person goes to deep into the skin
    also very disappointing work, just keep in mind its on you forever and lasers hurt worse than the tattoo itself.

0|0
    0|0
    • obviously my first thought is to find a good place where i know people have gone too and liked their experience...

• It depends on how high your pain threshold is, I know when i was getting the one on my wrist done, I was tensing up because I thought it would hurt. The tattoo artist told me to relax, and it felt like i was scratching my own skin...

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on where you get it, mine is on my upper thigh (placement chosen so my dad would never see it) and it didn't hurt very much at all. But if its in a place tha has a lot of nerve endings it will hurt like a son of a bitch.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never gotten a tattoo before but I heard it hurts a lot
    I also am sensitive skin to
    So for my advice instead of needles do permanent markers

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you get it, how big it is and your pain tolerance. For me it wasn't painful at all since I have a really high pain tolerance it was on my shoulder and not to big

0|0
    0|0
  • I've gotten two tattoos one on my ribs and one on my hip, the one on my hip hurt more than the one on my ribs. It depends on you.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on your pain tolerance, the spot, and how much fat you have on your body

0|0
    0|0
  • Not too bad

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes