Why aren't there more medium sized female models?

They're usually either rail thin or plus sized. I don't see anything wrong with that, but shouldn't the majority be somewhere in the middle? Or is that just too boring... Male mannequins in the store are usually medium sized but the girl ones are so thin! The clothes never fit the same unless your a size 0.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• A counter-example: cabaret showgirls...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phc6_raUBvk

These are selected to be hot, because that's what the clientele wants. They are slim but definitely don't have the walking corpse supermodel look. On the contrary they have tits and asses, and above all, they're very fit and healthy. They have to be, because it's a demanding job. No way to dance for hours while running just on cocaine and one fat-free yogurt. Actually, they eat quite a lot... Most of them are actually ballet dancers who find this job more profitable.

And fashion models?

>> According to Emmy Award-winning stylist and author David Zyla, so much is at stake in runway shows that curvy, healthy, vibrant women would “upstage” a designer’s creations. “As a result,” says Zyla, “the models chosen are typically slim and androgynous…so that audiences are not distracted by a curvy hip or full bosom.”

>> This is a particularly potent aspect of the fashion industry we need to think deeply about. Models are so slim, so young, so angular, and so often the antithesis of healthy body shapes because industry executives deliberately want them to be invisible.

Basically they chosen to NOT be hot, because they are clothes hangers.

I find this disgusting by the way...

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• No, the majority is actually plus sized. Oh, where do I start with this though? Rampant body shaming, reinforced by manufacturers who only want their designs seen on "ideal" bodies?

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• There is. It's just they are in sears and walmart catalogs.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• I suppose so.

0|0
    0|0
  • The media likes slim ones.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes