Is beauty really in the eye of the beholder?

Ik we all have our preferences but don't we all look at the same things like facial symmetry? Some might like skinny girls and others might like big girls but don't we all have the same view of what a pretty face is?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes but there are also universal beauty signs. At least there are studies that suggest that. So I think that who you are attracted to will of course vary but there will always people who most people will find attractive

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, most of it is. Especially when it comes to facial features. Perfect facial symmetry is actually off-putting. It's all on a gradient: some people like smaller this, bigger that; some are more lax with their standards, others more stringent. There are huge cultural differences, too: what's considered 'pretty' in one culture, might be less than ideal in another. In fact, the only universally agreed-upon sign of unattractiveness is that ashen skin tone that sick people get--that's been shown to be off-putting across cultures and genders. But other than that, it's all fair game.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• Absolutely! A person's preferences and what attracts them vary from individual to individual. Things that one person may find attractive or unattractive, may be completely different than that of another individual. So really, beauty is what a person makes of it. <3

1|0
    0|0
  • I see plenty of people call girls pretty that I don't find attractive in the slightest, so I think it's pretty subjective. But that doesn't mean there aren't obvious patterns that can be observed

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is subjective and so is beauty. Everyone has a different idea of beauty. What I find attractive may truly repulse someone else.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like you're talking about outside appearance and if that's the case then yes it is in the eyes of the beholder. However you can dispute this by saying that everyone loves models for a reason.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not entirely, there are different flavours of attractive people which individuals prefer (even in the face), but they are all attractive objectively.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always tell people this who think they can't get with a girl whos really pretty or any girl for that matter

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes most definitely beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Beauty is invoked by emotion, therefore is relative.

1|0
    0|0
  • to a extent yes

1|0
    0|0
  • I think so yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes i believe so. I once dated a guy and no could see what i saw i him. Most people said he was ugly, but i didn't see him that way. He had a handsome face to me. I liked his facial features and everything about his appearance

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Everyone thinks Brad Pitt is the hottest ever, but I don't at all. Patrick Dempsey is 1000X hotter. Just goes to show

0|0
    0|0
  • we all find different people attractive. so there for it is true!

1|0
    0|0
  • Truest cliché ever.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. It's not.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes