What are your tips on avoiding split ends?

I have hair that is between wavy and curly (lots of big ringlets towards the ends, but more wavy towards the top) and although there is a lot of it, my strands are on the smaller side, so they break and split very easily. I admittedly haven't always taken the best care of my hair, but have started trying to take much better care of it the past year and a half or so. I have been trimming it once every two months, only using heat on it about once a week, letting conditioner sit in it for 25-30 minutes, washing it daily or every other day (it gets oily fast so the longest I can go is every other day- I just bought dry shampoo to try out though), only shampooing the roots, and using a wide tooth comb to detangle it. I last trimmed it in late August (am planning to trim it again towards the end of this month) and can already see that I have split ends again, though not as bad as before I trimmed it. I would like for it to grow, so I don't want to trim it so often that it can't grow, but it won't grow if it splits either because I tried not cutting it for a year once and it just broke off once it got to a certain point. When I wear it in a ponytail, I always use a scrunchie. I try not to regularly use heat or product on it so that it won't be damaged, and I quit dyeing it a few years ago and all of the hair that was dyed has since grown out and been cut off. It seems that my hair is just fragile. What are your tips for avoiding split ends?

40

Most Helpful Girl

• I try not to wash it daily (if it looks oily, I tie it in a ponytail or I make a braid), I try to make time to deep condition it at least twice a week, I try not to dye it as often, I use a wide toothed comb instead of a paddle brush, I try to consume lots of protein, I use conditioners that contain coconut oil, I avoid using heat... I am not sure if I do anything else...