Should I get a degree in fashion design, merchandising, or business?

Im 20 this month and since highschool I have wanted go FIDM to be a fashion designer. after graduation I took 3 general classes at FIDM for this program since my grades weren't great in high school. I ended up not going to FIDM cuz its too expensive.

Im taking general classes for my first semester that I started September at a community college near me for my associates degree in fashion design.

But for any years I love doing youtube and videos and I have a fashion page on Instagram and it makes me the happiest person ever. I also sell clothes online with an app every week.

I don't feel desire to sew or be a designer. I do want my own line of clothes but I like to do many things. I volunteer at fashion shows and dress models too. But I'm thinking If I should get a degree in business or fashion merchandising instead of fashion design. any suggestions? my older sister has a degree in interior design at film and now she has a business with her husband in something for pets and still owes a lot of money for fidm

24

Most Helpful Guy

• You should get all the degrees, if you want to start your own line you should be skilled in all that I would think? Or have trusted partners do their part while you do yours for the company

• I want my own line of clothes but don't desire sewing anymore, I do want to start my own brand and do youtube but not be designer, also there aren't many jobs in that. I would like to work from home and start my own business.

• have other people make my clothes

• Well the definitely business and merchandising and you'll be set. YouTube is a great way to get your name and brand out there. Seems like you're on in the right track

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say business. Degrees like fashion design don’t make enough money to pay college loans

• or shud I get a certificate in fashion merchandising then get my degree in business?

• I would say first your degree in business because that would let you qualify for more jobs while you pay for fashion merchandising. So by the time you’re doing a certificate in fashion merchandising you’ll probably have a business job & you’ll be gaining business experience so once you decide you want to combine fashion & business you’ll pretty much be set and have a lot of knowledge about how it works

• there's fashion merchandising at the community college, the associates degree for fashion merchandising has a few classes and the rest r general requirements but the certficate has many merchandising fashion and art business classes to take, so I'm debating.