Do you feel the idea of masculinity is weaker than femininity?

reason i ask is because, it seems most guys masculinity is threatened by simple things as the color pink or painted fingernails and such. it seems that if they truly were "capable of handling anything", things such as those wouldn't threaten just how masculine they feel. its almost as if the more feminine they allow themselves to be, the more secure in their masculinity they are.

• yes the idea of masculinity is weaker than femininity
  • no it is not
example= most guys general attitude is "im not afraid of anyone/anything. but if you take a mens shirt, simply change the color to pink, most guys would refuse to wear it due to the color often quoting "its gay". also nails can be painted and not be completely feminine too... look at several males in the rock industry (who also tend to be the ones who do other "femme" labeled things, but not in a feminine manner (hair clothing etc...) ex. hairspray bands, modern metal bands, kiss, steel panther.

836

Most Helpful Guy

• No, the people who say that don't understand what masculinity is. To many, it means nothing at all. But words mean things.

I've heard people say that a man do feminine things and still be completely masculine - that makes no sense because they're opposites. To paint your nails, wear make-up, wear women's underwar, wear pink etc. Is feminine. That's why masculinity is "threatened" by it - it's just not masculine. I've seen some say that a guy can do these things and not feel like his sense of masculinity isbthreatened - he's probably not masculine in the first place whether he thinks it or not. I wouldn't even call those rock guys you mentioned masculine.

Now masculinity isn't just about looks but behaviour. Many know it when they see it but they don't know how to define it. Jack Donovan explained it well in his book The Way Of Men, where he studies cultures from all around the world and what their views on masculinity are. He says that the main traits of masculine men are strength, courage, competence and honour, and that it's more about what men look for in other men than what women look for in men. In fact I'd say that women (and effeminate men) are clueless.

Until modern times men have always had to hunt and protect the tribe. Masculinity was necessary or else it meant death for the tribe. In a survival situation you'd rather be surrounded by strong, competent, courageous men than weak, incompetent, cowardly men (these are usually the kinds of men who like to bash masculine men and pretend that masculinity/femininity doesn't really exist). Those standards still apply, it's instinctual in men.

When it comes to honour, that means that a man doesn't want to look weak or to make his group/tribe look weak or vulnerable. That's why there are certain things that masculine men don't do. Those who say they don't care at all what others think and do those things don't have any honour. Again, most women and feminine men won't get it.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • id agree to a point. back in hunter/gatherer times, i could see that having relevance, but in todays times i see it being quite irrelevant. you could take most rich people (the ones with the most means to provide in todays society) and they would be useless in a true grit bare hands environment type of survival. todays times are more mentally driven and less dependent on physical strength attributes. thats my opinion on it anyhow

• I still wouldn't say that it's irrelevant. With the example of rich guys in a mentally driven environment - how do they get rich? Certainly not by being weak-minded, cowardly or incompetent. These standards apply in different ways from culture to culture, and from social class to social class, and they don't only apply to the physical. If a man is physically strong but is weak-minded and cowardly he'll still be considered less masculine.

Also most things work in cycles. History often repeats itself. There have been plenty of successful societies throughout history and all have eventually fallen for many different reasons. Things can always go bad, and nothing lasts forever. What almost always happens in these societies is that they forget the importance of encouraging men to be masculine because they think that the good times will last forever, which is almost never the case.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy2h1kqVEAApcmH.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think any kind of weakness or strength exists in terms of masculinity and femininity. However, societal norms and attributes are the ones which threaten our very own idea of the degree of being feminine or masculine.

On a side note, and maybe irrelevant, I do believe that it is way easier to achieve femininity than masculinity. For masculinity, you need a certain height, muscles, a certain type of jawline, broad shoulders etc. which all come by genetics, and hard to change with plastic surgery. While for femininity, you can fix things with makeup, pushup bras, plastic surgery/implants etc. to look more feminine.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • i would have to disagree with you on it being easier, due to being an avid practitioner being seen as feminine when otherwise not is quite a lot of work. but i would assume it to be just as challenging when looking at the opposite as well. makeup when applied correctly can have a feminizing effect, but when applied incorrectly can make a person appear more masculine.