Do you think gynocentrism controls beauty standards?

It is said that in Rome, men were viewed in the same manner women are views today. There were sculptures of naked men in Rome because Rome was male dominated society. Nowadays, first world countries are usually gynocentric which is possibly why women are often featured on ads, commercials, posters etc. If we get rid of gynocentrism, would beauty standards be established equality for men and women?
Do you think gynocentrism controls beauty standards?The problem is how people get offended when a woman is “sexualized” in a ad but say nothing when a man is sexualized in a ad. Why not fix this nonsense by either not sexualizing either sex or equally sexualizing both sexes?
Do you think gynocentrism controls beauty standards?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sculptures of men in Rome = Art
    Women in ads = marketing

Perhaps Western culture still labors under the misapprehension that men control the money that is spent.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Like the Roman Republic, America is still a male-dominated society.

0|0
    0|1
  • No, because it lies deeper than that. What we perceive as beautiful/attractive is biological and psychological related.

0|0
    0|0
    • So why were men considered better looking than women in Rome, while women are considered better looking than men nowadays.

• Show All
    • It’s subtle.

• Guys still take racey pics so I don't know

0|0
    0|0
    • Indeed they do, yet still refuse to believe it’s pointless.

• Show All
    • Male modeling is pointless, they are desperately trying to cater to female audiences but in fact male modeling doesn’t even get female attention. Female modeling gets male attention because men are biologically programmed to find women visually appealing.

• There you go again I'm out ✌

What Guys Said 11

• Good question, though I'm not too sure here.

Back in the art classes I remember male bodies typically showcasing art for the sculptures, so I'm going to have to go with no on this one.

It's probable that men and women are both adored and can be used for attraction somehow, aka paintings or sculptures, with the other body being more fit for advertisement someplace else.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't work that way. Rome was a highly militaristic state with a culture extremely influenced by the Greeks. Now, we know from Aristotle that Greek men weren't particularly fond of women since he said

"The Timaeus warns men that if they live immorally they will be reincarnated as women".

Next to that, homosexual relationships were normal in classical Rome and Greece. I guess this could lead to the sidelining of women.

I would also include the fact the Romans also made a lot of sculptures of ugly people. They wanted to make the most realistic sculptures they could, even if it involved sick, old, handicapped people. The Greeks were idolising and strived for perfection.

You would have to get far deeper to establish beauty standards equally for men and women.

I think modern society is just oversexualized.

1|0
    0|0
  • I simply think that males are solt in a different way.

behostels.com/.../onedirection.jpg

0|0
    0|0
  • i dont think gynocentrism controls beauty standards.. Nothing will change..

i think so, but i dont limit my thoughts here

0|0
    0|0
  • Rome where most men were heavily into fucking other dudes and you wonder why they might like to see pictures of naked dudes

0|0
    0|0
    • Isn’t that basically what happens nowadays, except it’s the not men who are doing other men. Nowadays, women can make out with another woman and not face societal backlash.

• Ancient Rome and ancient Greece men were all into fucking each other, women were often just used for conception

• Nowadays it’s the women (not all) who take part in that behavior, not saying it’s wrong that they take part in that behavior but that’s how it is.

• It’s possible that the sculptures were misinterpreted and weren’t necessary all meant to be sexual but some inherently are

0|0
    0|0
  • Women have always objectified men, it's how the world works.

0|0
    0|0
  • Penis doesn't sale. Vagina and boobs does.

0|1
    0|1
  • Nah!

0|1
    0|0
  • So it was

0|0
    0|0
    • How about nowadays? Can beauty standards be equally distributed to both sexes?

• Nudeness always was popular and it will be. Everything what is normal hide makes people intrested. But the world power belongs to men and it's most affecting in this case.

• Men’s preferences have generally always followed women’s preferences. I wouldn’t necessarily call it gynocentrism though.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes