What do you think about people other than African Americans wearing traditional African American hairstyles?

What are your thoughts of people other than African Americans wearing traditional African American hairstyle box braids, cornrows etc. I’m not against people other than African Americans wearing it cause it’s hair and yes some people might say it’s inappropriate but at least it’s not hurting anyone and I wear cornrows which are six strands but my mom says I’m look like I’m trying to look black but I’m kinda pissed that people keep make it into a big problem
  • Yes it’s offensive to wear
    Vote A
  • No it’s not offensive to wear them
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• None of that is unique to blacks, they just happen to be doing it currently while other groups did it historically (like dreadlocks which where worn by ancient Vikings, and Prussians, they where also found in the middle east and in asia). Quite frankly the whole notion is stupid, even if it was entirely unique to them (it isn't and I don't think anything is entirely unique to one group as we absorb parts of the other groups cultures we meet) it still would not be offensive. Might as well say that people who are not white can't use cars as whites invented them, or use most of modern technology and medicine for that matter (yet oddly enough you never see that argument being made do you?).

0|0
    0|0
    • The only one you had was Dreadlocks which I agree with but the rest are unique to "Black" people since African Americans got the aspiration from African countries.. Like Cornrows and box braids.. LOL..

• Show All
    • Inventions are made to go out to the world.. They have no cultural value to "Whites" they are made to make a profit... That's the difference.. Pants, Straight hair, Computers, Glasses.. That is not "White" culture.. In that case Math, and science would be muslim and "Asian" culture since they are the ones who actually "invented" it..

• @JDavid25 Yes, their culture furthered mathematics, the Persians furthered optics. But that was due to their culture, it was produced by their culture. Again, you keep trying to act like whites did not do anything and that's the problem. As for guilt, I don't feel guilt for what whites did because they did nothing different then any other group. The problem is you brought it up, not me I was merely pointing out that it was a moronic argument. But regardless their is no point in speaking to you because your clearly not going to actually think. I mean your claiming culture for braiding hair, but not for the rationalist movement that literally spawned all of our current technology and ideas? At some point you have to call bullshit, and that's what your spewing out, bullshit. Ideas are apart of culture and why you seem not to realize that is beyond me, I can only assume its due to an attempt to avoid giving credit where its due.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm African American, Cultural Appropriation is stupid really. I see where black people try to come from where if we do it it's typical or something but if another race does it it's cool; whatever. Regardless, we need to address that races can't own things that's retarded. People can wear and do whatever they please with themselves and who are you to tell them they can't? It's just a hairstyle, they like it so they are wearing it. Mind your fucking business and get out the way if you have nothing nice to say because no one wants to hear about how you're displeased with their choice of style. Next time you get a sew in don't feel some kind of way if another race says you're trying to be like them if you're always on someone else's back.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• This appropriation shit is ridiculous. It isn't stealing it isn't anything. If whatever color/race can't wear corn rows the the third generation black kid can't wear dread locks because he's not from Jamaica.

2|0
    1|0
  • Dreadlocks - celts and vikings had them... braids I'd respond with "piss off" promptly.

But then again I'm the A-hole that counter accuses the BLM/SJW that they themselves are culturally appropriating other cultures with that weave.

The ones that actually get offended by such things are weak, uneducated, and reaching for victim status. AKA cancer.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you actually believe that "Race is a social construct and doesn't really exist" then you shouldn't be bothered when somebody of a different "Race" (Which you claim not to believe in) does something traditionally done by yours.

People always trying to have their cake and eat it too. Either race is real (Which it is, but that's not justification to discriminate) or it's not. If its not then such appropriation is completely fair game.

0|0
    0|0
  • Naw, it ain't offensive to wear it.. The reason why some people wouldn't like it is because of how people like the mainstream version of "Black" culture, but don't always care for "Black" people.. And even sometimes think styles mainly wore by "Black" people look better on other people.. When you don't feel fully appreciated as a people then you ain't finna just jump on board just cause people like yo style..

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not offensive. And you can't really claim anything so general belongs to one culture or another anyway. there's a good history of braids in asia and Europe too for instance.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dope.
    I want to adopt all kinds of styles.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be offended that anyone would find it offensive, Jesus.

2|1
    0|0
  • I think people can wear THEIR OWN HAIR anyway they damn well please.

Why? Because it's THEIR HAIR.

1|0
    0|0
  • I remember when rap music was thought to be only for black and than came the Lendary M&M wow white guy can rap. Lol before it was white guys can't jump with Basketball. Than hockey was only for whites and now u got plenty blacks in there lol.

0|0
    0|0
    • That is their tradition. American live in very cold region while African live in hot region so as per climate n tradition they wear such dresses

• Show All
    • African could not improve development, education, economy as Americans

• Hairstyle is fashion how to attract other people mostly opposite gender. Tradition of of America is different rather than African

• It is hair. Seriously human are the pickiest motherfuckers on the planet. "I own a hairstyle!" Whacked out species.

2|1
    0|0
  • This cultural appropriation bullshit is getting out of hand

1|0
    1|0
  • Traditional African American hairstyles? They aren't entitled to a hairstyle anyone can have any hairstyle or fashion style in my opinion.

1|0
    1|0
    • Certain hairstyles are worn by predominately black people.

• Show All
    • It might be stupid but its the truth sadly.

• Right and anybody can just up and wear a Japanese Kimono, or Scottish Kilt, or the like.. It's culture.. Yes anybody can wear them but you technically don't have that say..

• I'm black and I have no problem with anybody using "black culture". Although cornrows isn't exclusive unique to black people but a lot of it does come from black people.

Since you're Asian, how do you feel about non-asians wearing traditional Asian clothes? Like if a white person wore a kimono?

Becuase the problem I have with SOME (not all) Asians is many of them I know personally seem to love appropiating black culture (Which is no problem trust me, I love when Asians partake into my culture, I welcome any asian) but if a white guy partakes into Asian culture they get offended and call him racist.

1|0
    0|0
    • As far as you go, wear whatever you want, if you like conrows, thats all good with me, go ahead girl and get your groove on.

Some black people however don't like that, but I don't agree with those black people.

• To further add on to what I said earlier, one example of this is Anna Akana who is a popular Asian youtuber, she insulted white men who love collecting Japanese swords calling them creepy, adn this same person has appropriated black culture many times.

And I've seen many other Asian youtubers do the same thing. Which I honestly find a bit hypocritical.

• I certainly don't think it's offensive, I just don't think it looks good on other people.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's their hair. I wouldn't be offended. Anyone should be able to wear cornrows.

0|1
    0|0
  • So what people can do what they want. Cultural appropriation is bullshit.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it’s not offensive to wear them

1|0
    0|0
  • My answer is who cares

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• Of course this wouldn't be offensive to non black people like most Of the ones replying to this. . . as a black women I do find it offensive. . . not really offensive but its like.. . ? why.

? Are we really that cool that you want to be like us. . .

Embrace your own culture. Leave what little I have left alone please.

1|1
    3|1
    • Braids aren't exclusive to Africans.

• Show All
    • Nope, that's actually not true. A black man didn't invent the traffic light.

• Despite my profile picture, I'm actually a Black Woman. Picture just matched my name and was a pretty work of art. Regardless, this doesn't offend me so please elborate your reasons why it offends you?

• hey if black people can relax their hair to make it look like white people hair I can make mine do stuff that was originally from black culture. I don't understand why some people get so uptight about that stuff. Just be flattered that people think a part of your culture is so awesome they want to incorporate it into their life

1|0
    0|0
    • Straight hair is not a style.. Anybody can have straight hair.. And just because people like some aspects of our culture don't mean they like us.. That's the whole thing about it.. Of course you wouldn't understand cause you don't care to understand..

• It's not okay for one race to basically 'own' a hairstyle just because it's a big part of their culture. As long as you're not doing it to be offensive, I see no reason why people should be offended by this. It's like asking if black women straightening their hair would be offensive to Asians. Go for it girl, I'm sure you'd look hot.

1|1
    0|0
  • No, it's not offensive. Personally, I don't like seeing them on Caucasians like myself. It suits African Americans better.

0|0
    1|0
  • It depends on your own culture, location, who you are. If you don't try too hard... it's ok!

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly it doesn’t look as good. It’s not very becoming. It’s not really offensive, it’s just cringeworthy.

0|0
    0|0
    • A lot of it stems from frustration. Considering we get looked down upon for wearing our hair a certain way but when a non black persons does it , “it’s cool”

• I think it looks stupid on other races but it’s not offensive. Let peeps do what they want.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's totally ok to wear it. It's not offensive at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's not offensive

0|0
    0|0
  • personal preference

0|0
    0|0
  • An Asian asked this lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm black--my dad is African-American and my mom is Caribbean.

One day on campuses I saw a Korean girl wearing blonde cornrows--and they were beautiful on her! I told her so, and she thought the same of my box braids. She also seemed to respect black culture as much as black style.

At a glance, I'm flattered to see black hairstyles on non-blacks, because it goes to show that for once, finally, black art is being appreciated by the mainstream and black hairstyles aren't seen advice ugly but edgy and glamorous like they are.

HOWEVER; the person in question better love, respect, and appreciate black people as much as our culture/hairstyles. If I see a non-black wearing these hairstyles as a joke/costume, or be disrespectful/dismissive when it comes to black people, then I'm disgusted. People have to note that African hairstyles have very significant meanings in culture and history. Some symbolized royalty, and getting these hairstyles done from the beginning to now means a lot more than a cute look for many. We also can't forget that for centuries, the West would shamelessly mistreat blacks ESPECIALLY with braids, dreads, etc. As a kid my mom would make the most intricate And beautiful braids in my hair for soccer season, only for classmates to tell me that I looked like a criminal (true story). We won't talk about the time that I wore my Afro to that school.

So in short, I don't mind if non-blacks wear these styles, but there are many who do, for valid reasons that include what I said above. If you decide to wear them, don't be ignorant or an ass to the rest of black culture/actual blacks.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes