What do you think about people other than African Americans wearing traditional African American hairstyles?

What are your thoughts of people other than African Americans wearing traditional African American hairstyle box braids, cornrows etc. I’m not against people other than African Americans wearing it cause it’s hair and yes some people might say it’s inappropriate but at least it’s not hurting anyone and I wear cornrows which are six strands but my mom says I’m look like I’m trying to look black but I’m kinda pissed that people keep make it into a big problem
  • Yes it’s offensive to wear
  • No it’s not offensive to wear them

1328

Most Helpful Guy

• None of that is unique to blacks, they just happen to be doing it currently while other groups did it historically (like dreadlocks which where worn by ancient Vikings, and Prussians, they where also found in the middle east and in asia). Quite frankly the whole notion is stupid, even if it was entirely unique to them (it isn't and I don't think anything is entirely unique to one group as we absorb parts of the other groups cultures we meet) it still would not be offensive. Might as well say that people who are not white can't use cars as whites invented them, or use most of modern technology and medicine for that matter (yet oddly enough you never see that argument being made do you?).

• The only one you had was Dreadlocks which I agree with but the rest are unique to "Black" people since African Americans got the aspiration from African countries.. Like Cornrows and box braids.. LOL..

• Inventions are made to go out to the world.. They have no cultural value to "Whites" they are made to make a profit... That's the difference.. Pants, Straight hair, Computers, Glasses.. That is not "White" culture.. In that case Math, and science would be muslim and "Asian" culture since they are the ones who actually "invented" it..

• @JDavid25 Yes, their culture furthered mathematics, the Persians furthered optics. But that was due to their culture, it was produced by their culture. Again, you keep trying to act like whites did not do anything and that's the problem. As for guilt, I don't feel guilt for what whites did because they did nothing different then any other group. The problem is you brought it up, not me I was merely pointing out that it was a moronic argument. But regardless their is no point in speaking to you because your clearly not going to actually think. I mean your claiming culture for braiding hair, but not for the rationalist movement that literally spawned all of our current technology and ideas? At some point you have to call bullshit, and that's what your spewing out, bullshit. Ideas are apart of culture and why you seem not to realize that is beyond me, I can only assume its due to an attempt to avoid giving credit where its due.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm African American, Cultural Appropriation is stupid really. I see where black people try to come from where if we do it it's typical or something but if another race does it it's cool; whatever. Regardless, we need to address that races can't own things that's retarded. People can wear and do whatever they please with themselves and who are you to tell them they can't? It's just a hairstyle, they like it so they are wearing it. Mind your fucking business and get out the way if you have nothing nice to say because no one wants to hear about how you're displeased with their choice of style. Next time you get a sew in don't feel some kind of way if another race says you're trying to be like them if you're always on someone else's back.